Monday 20 August 2012

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

...farewell to Ryle and the Hunter.


I have been fighting the urge to do Ray and Fran's '20 Questions' over the weekend in a bid to get some more work done on the challenge and so here we are, what might prove to be my last post for 'A Tale of 3 Painters' and I have to confess that I have rather mixed feelings about the whole thing.  


Buoyed with the success of the metallic work on the Hunter model I approached it very much in the same manner here, using 'Tin Bitz' as a base and reaching for the 'Vallejo Matt Medium' to help with building up of the washes.  Blue has become the colour of choice for all power circuits and has remained so on Ryle's huge metallic hand and helmet.  Once again in a bid to paint something other than metal his knee support was done as a leather and canvas contraption.  Final touches included a wooden handle on the crank operated gatling gun and blood stains on the bandages (a mix of magenta ink and sepia wash).



As my contribution to 'A Tale of 3 Painters' comes to an end I can honestly say that it has been a wonderful experience as well as a steep learning curve!  There have been times of self doubt  along the way, but although we have all been woking on different miniatures it has felt very much a collaboration; without the hints and tips that I picked up from both Andy and Mike I would never have been able to have completed these two to the standard that I have achieved.   


Having invested a considerable amount of time into both Ryle and the Hunter, I feel loathed to hand them back, but return them I must and I hope to have them packed and shipped by the end of the week.  What happens next is very much up to YOU.  Mike 'The Dark Templar' has been woking tirelessly behind the scenes, promoting the project but also amassing a considerable amount of goodies from some very prominent, not to mention generous, companies.  If you are interested in getting your hands on this bundle of joy, then keep following the progress of Andy and Mike, who will be releasing more details on the project as it progresses to its inevitable climax - the auction.

I would just like to thank you all for your continued support and especially those that posted such encouraging comments, it really did help to keep me going.

**************

As always don't forget to keep up to date with the others, Andy Walker at 'The Lair of the Breviks' and  'The Dark Templar' himself, Mike Reynolds.








45 comments:

  1. Wow…

    Michael, you've blown me away with the quality of the finished models. They do look truly stunning. I know this wasn't the easiest of briefs but I hope you enjoyed it and learned that you can paint anything you put your mind to. Thank you so much for taking part and donating so much of your painting time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thank you! Without your enthusiasm and support none of this would have happened; it has been a delight to have been involved.

      Delete
  2. It's kind of nice to hear that you struggled at points but at the same time it's not nice, both cases down to the fact you are a very gifted painter!

    Good that you learnt stuff and those figures are excellent work that you have every reason to be proud and loath to give up (you can always bid for them back)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian, it certainly is going to be a wrench!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning results and a great learning experience for you, obviously.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole crew finished and together. This has been such a fantastic project and I really hope that it does raise a lot of money for the charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, like you I'm really excited to see them altogether.

      Delete
  4. Very nice looking duo, congrats! And nice of you to do painting for a good cause, hope they find a good home and make someone happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful result Michael! That is absolutely incredable work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The both look amazing mate. You should be proud of them. Who ever ends up with these and the other figures will be chuffed to own them I'll bet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you, certainly pleased with the way they came out, but you should check out the others' work!

      Delete
  7. OMG what fantastic models and splendid paintjobs. I hope you are thrilled with the result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting figs and a great finish, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting. The mind and hand were at-one-with-each-other during this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay, but relieved to have got through it.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful bit of work there Michael, well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work on these 2! And I hope that others see the hard work you guys have put into it, and bid on them accordingly! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Lee, it would be great if they all make a good price, after all that is what we are hoping to achieve.

      Delete
  12. Absolutely Spiffing old boy!!!!
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, Michael! You did a brilliant job with both (I especially like the pattern on Ryle's trousers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt, it was something that I would never have dreamt of doing without Mike's encouragement.

      Delete
  14. A great result! It's always tough stepping outside of your comfort zone, but you seem to have managed just fine.

    Speaking of "comfort zone" Mr Awdry, could you shoot me an email at tanithtaylor at gmail dot com? I have a question or two for you.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, but now looking forward to a little time within the old comfort zone!

      Delete
  15. Michael you're an excellent painter and for a painter of your ability to be pushed to an even higher level, well that has been a pleasure to watch.

    I'll be interested to see if any of the techniques you've had to use here make their way into your painting from here on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne that is incredibly kind of you to say so, and I certainly feel as if I have picked up a raft of new skills. I will certainly be trying to incorporate them into the usual fodder from here on in!

      Delete
  16. Michael those figures as truly amazing and to a pro standard. I think that your standard of painting has improved and I look to yours as the benchmark to step up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pete, I guess I'll just have try a little harder from now on! ;)

      Delete
  17. Lovely work Michael, you really have set the bar high for us! Ryle looks fantastic, I never would have thought he'd work so well in bright colours, but you really have made him look good.

    I tip my hat to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy as I have mentioned before it is the fabulous tips that I have picked up from reading your progress have made the difference! Thank you again.

      Delete
  18. that's an incredible model what fantastic detail

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful set of figures Michael, what a great mouth on Ryle......amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran, certainly want to watch your fingers around this chap!

      Delete
  20. Superb work, I love it all, the flesh tone, striped pants, everything, just masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome work Michael! What a splendid pair of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a figure! All those different colours, it looks like patchwork! Must have been a real challenge to paint!
    Excellent painted figure Michael!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...