Wednesday 22 August 2012

Terror-cotta Warrior Zombies!!



From the files of the 'secret project' come these fabulous zombies by 'John Jenkins Designs UK'.  I had originally seen these as part of an inspirational Blood Bowl team 'Terracotta Terrors' by Paul from 'the Man Cave' and around the same time my good friend, the 'Provost Marshal' sent me the link to the company; he really does excel at finding things to spend my pocket money on!  I just had to have them, but it wasn't going to be as easy as all that.  It transpires that the chaps at JJDUK no longer have a manufacturer and have subsequently run out of stock.  Because I had ordered online, before the website had been updated, they honoured the purchase by shipping in the missing parts of my order from John Jenkins' private stash in Hong Kong - now that is customer service!




Great fun to paint, just dry brushing really and picking out a few details here and there, it is such a shame I can't get anymore of these, but onto more important matters as in how to shoehorn them into the 'secret project'!


The Qin leader, Qin Shihuang, conquered the warring states, united China and became known as The First Emperor.  In his tomb at Xian lies a terrifiying secret; one of the occult wonders of the ancient world. Over 6000 warriors were slain and preserved by a hideous ancestoral ritual, cursed to serve their master and protect him... for eternity.  (courtesy of JJDUK website)  

For all eternity that is until the figures, dating from 3rd century BC, were discovered in 1874 by some local farmers in Lintong District, Xi'an, Shaanxi province.  What followed was the wholesale plunder of these ancient artefacts on an industrial scale.  A unscrupulous bunch of grave robbers set about the transportation to Europe and the New World smuggling the artefacts in with legitimate goods, normally tea or silk.  Finding their way into private collections around the world the splintered army was to remain an impotent totem of a long lost civilisation, but then the unspeakable would happen; the curse would be awoken!  



45 comments:

  1. Lovely paint job sir! I got to see the Terracotta warriors when they were at the British Museum, and other than the glowing red eyes (thank goodness I didn't see THAT) you've got them pretty much spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, would love to see them in the flesh as it were, but as you say definitely not with the red eyes!

      Delete
    2. I got to see the real thing also, that was a great experiance, I must admit I don't remember seeing any red eyes, apart from the tramp outside the station that is???
      Excellent painting my good man!

      Delete
  2. Top painting as ever sir, and what a weird and wonderful find miniatures wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just painting up the command group, now they are weird!

      Delete
  3. Very cool figures mate. Will there be an emperor to lead them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and oh yes, we have some wonderfully odd things in the pipeline.

      Delete
  4. They are great figures, I've always liked them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd found them earlier and then I could have got a few more.

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures and scarry too

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..until they tried to use the stairs then fell over and shattered.

    These are really fun figures. I think the Chinese made a movie where one came to life. Nice painting. Red eyes area plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, the curse of the Dalek strikes again!

      Delete
  7. I've not seen any figures like these yet. Very unique and nicely painted too.

    I just picked up the most gorgeous "wallpaper" for Sir Michael's abode, very elegant and tasteful. Now I need to figure out how to make you a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anne; a fireplace you say? Somewhere to darn my sock beside whilst toasting a hot crumpet eh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time I ever saw a picture of the Terracotta Army, my first thought was "man, it would be cool if those things suddenly came to life!"

    I'm fine if the Terror-cotta Army doesn't, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool and nice touch on the eyes!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, the eyes were shamelessly stolen from Paul's versions!

      Delete
  11. Now that is just original ! excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vaughan, my problem seems to be remaining focussed on any one project!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful, Michael! Surely the fires of hell are burning in the belly of these ancient zombies, whose flickering and flaming eyes bring instant fear and paralysis to all who dare gaze upon their kiln hardened bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you see that is just brilliant, I'm just going to have to use that!

      Delete
  13. Lovely paintjob (as always). They do look spooky, if I was a kid they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the same room as me overnight just in case those eyes starting moving!

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, they will have to be safely put away at the ned of the day!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful work Michael. The eyes really bring them to "life".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rodger, having seen the red eyes on Paul's I just had to copy them.

      Delete
  15. Love them. Pity no more availble as you say - serried ranks of these would be scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, would certainly love another couple of ranks of these.

      Delete
  16. They look like a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing more of your secret project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your secret project is growing and growing with lots of variation there Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, but the secret project really is just an excuse that allows me to go and buy whatever shiny things that catch my eye!

      Delete
  18. You have done a wonderful job. Well done indeed. This is a great project to follow. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love finding fun things to paint!

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thank you Captain, I have to say they are becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure here too!

      Delete
  20. Very cool. Do I detect another theme for an Empire of the Dead game???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott, I certainly wouldn't rule it out!

      Delete
  21. Really "nice" figures! And you did a great brushwork on on them!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quantum Binary Signals

    Professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone daily.

    Follow our signals right now & gain up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...