Tuesday 17 December 2013

Under Canvas!




Now, being a relatively slow painter and one that's prone to changing his mind as often as the humming bird flaps its wings, I am here to report that chaos has ensued at the beloved homestead!  I was hoping to take advantage of a couple of days of relative calm to notch up my first entry for the 'The 4th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge' and all was going well until a bout of the aforementioned indecision struck!


Having foolhardily asserted that I would enter a miniature for each of the bonus rounds, I assiduously started to prep these and this is where the problem started.  Within a matter of hours, I had such a wonderful assortment of shiny, (oh so very shiny miniatures!) on the table that I was transfixed, rabbit like, to what lay before me.  


Fear naught, dear reader, there would be no close encounter with a Michelin tyre for this bunny, in fact I have to confess that this is all a rather wonderful experience.  I have long claimed that my primary factor for indulging in this most wholesome of hobbies is to have fun and fun I am having.  Yes, I may have wandered from the prescribed path, starting miniatures that are for entries planned early in the New Year, but I do so with a smile (or was that a maniacal grin?) on my face.


In many ways this was inevitable and foreseen, which brings me, albeit tortuously, to the subject of this post - the tents!  Some simple terrain pieces for the St Trinian's board, that originally starting out as 'Renedra Plastics' Dog Tents, with a copy of added patches and a lurid paint job.  I imagined them left, unloved and quietly gathering mildew at the back of the 'Duke of Edinburgh' stores, offered here by way of a filler until I actually finish something for the challenge!  


45 comments:

  1. Well, you are covered for this contest. Nice going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola
    Que majas son las tiendas me gusta
    un saludo y felices fiestas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J.D. and a Happy Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  3. I openly admit I have wargames ADHD. Maybe we should start a support group and enter a 12 step programme! The tents do look very good, in a very Carry on Camping kind of way! (No offence meant). All you need now is a tatty caravan for the sixth form Girls and you can leave the tents to the fighting fourth form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Michael and I have a problem… A caravan, now that's genius!

      Delete
  4. Like these and love that your just having fun.

    My view of the challenge has changed with the inclusion of the bonus rounds but in good ways

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about the bonus rounds Ian, it has been a wonderful addition.

      Delete
  5. I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.
    Great bits of scenery, giving out that well-worn, abandoned feeling.
    The "Trinians" scenario gets better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was contemplating guy ropes but never got round to it.

      Delete
  6. Great looking piece there not bunting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bunting this time, but I still have some lying around somewhere!

      Delete
  7. It's unbelievable, but I'm actually on track and haven't put any impulse figures on the table. Now, we're only two days into this thing and that will likley change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As lovely as they are Michael, it sent a shiver down my spine as I fecking hate camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one for grass stains on the knees then Francis? ;)

      Delete
    2. The only person to ever see his knees was his mum, and that was whenhe was 6! Great work Sir M, they fit for a Queen!

      Delete
  9. Well Michael someone has to say it, so let it be me...

    Those are intense! Mwahahahaa.

    Excellent job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its an affliction we all have to some extent! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those tents are simply great! I really like the slightly nagged look they have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they have definitely seen better days, but needs must when the zombie apocalypse comes.

      Delete
  12. I know exactly what you mean Andrew and as for you young lady, I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life gets in the way, always. Nice looking tents Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I may have wandered from the prescribed path, starting miniatures that are for entries planned early in the New Year"
    Haha. Not just me then!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I have long claimed that my primary factor for indulging in this most wholesome of hobbies is to have fun and fun I am having."

    Please, please, please keep having fun. I love viewing the results of your "fun"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice looking tents and I know all about the butterfly effect!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tents! I'm going to make ACW and War of the Roses camps soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great stuff, Michael. Scant protection against the living-impaired, but great stuff all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice tents and love the base. I have the same problem myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The tents turned out excellent.

    And I feel with you since I'm just as fickle as you described yourself. Any piece of interesting literature influences my mind and makes me thinking about how to bring it to leaden live. After having read Sharpe I wanted to paint British Napoleonics, after watching Vikings on TV Saga miniatures stormed my workbench and after having read some interesting sources about 1812 in Russia I want to paint the Perry's excellent Retreat 1812 range...

    Sometime I feel like a hobby nutshell floating to and fro in a large, troubled ocean of our hobby... ;-)

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's all about the fun, so you do right. Nice tents.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Entertaining as always, I look forward to further reports!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your colour palette and basing makes your work stand out Michael. Superb painting once again.
    Merry Christmas,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carry on camping it is not.
    Merry Christmas.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice looking camp Michael!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...