Sunday 15 December 2013

The Challenge Begins...



As of six o'clock this morning we were 'good to go' for the challenge here at 'Awdry Towers', there has been much prepping, priming and posturing in preparation for the challenge, but now, my friends, it has begun!  Yesterday saw me clearing down my little corner of the dining room table in readiness for what I hope will be a productive first week before the Christmas festivities take over.


It was always my intention that the winter challenge would see a return to all things historic, particularly after a long summer of zombie and dinosaur related posts, but then Curt went an threw a curveball with the themed rounds this year.  These are the sort of distractions that I find so very difficult to resist and while I had hoped to resist the temptation to buy any new miniatures for the challenge, I just felt that I had to have one or two late additions - purely for variety you understand.


The challenge itself is a hugely enjoyable and rewarding event to participate in, the added theme rounds bring an additional element that should enhance the experience further, but if that wasn't enough we also have the addition of side challenges and duels.  It would seem that I have managed to get myself embroiled in two such battles, the first to make an entry for all the themed rounds that include,

December 22: Non Combatant(s) 
January 5: Villain(s) 
January 19: Vehicle
February 2: Hero or Heroic Group 
February 16: Casualty / Casualties 
March 2: Favourite Character 
March 16: Last Stand

As for content in these rounds, I am afraid that will have to remain a closely guarded secret for no other reason than to prevent me the embarrassment of failure if one doesn't submit as planned - so see it is all about fun with me.  

The second to battle it out against PhilH and GregB to see who can accumulate the most points in painting Victorian-themed entries.  As luck would have it most of the preparation has been based around this very theme, but as the crack from the starter's pistol reverberates around the quiet, grey streets of our little village, I am shocked at just how much there is still to do!  So here is wishing my fellow contributors the very best of luck and please feel free to follow the fun by clicking the button at the top of the right hand side-bar.  So without further ado…

'Let's Go...'

44 comments:

  1. Good luck in this years Challenge Sir M, I'm sure you'll treat us all again with those ingenious diorama entries!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, now funny you should mention dioramas, but they won't be ready until much later in the challenge.

      Delete
  2. I noticed that you were in quite a few side challenges and I wish you the best of luck in them.

    Happy Painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, not sure how that happened, but it should be fun!

      Delete
  3. Best of Luck. I will be looking forward to your outstanding painting again this year. I look forward to the bonus rounds and wonder what treats you have in store for us.

    But most of all enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredibly kind of you you Clint, I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve.

      Delete
  4. Good luck in the challenge Michael! And that is some excellent stuff you show us! Can't wait to see it painted!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, not sure how much will actually get done though.

      Delete
  5. Good luck in the chalange Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Michael and your fellow Challengers! :)

    Love the paint rack BTW; where is that from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I picked the paint rank up at a show from these people:
      http://www.progeng.co.uk/#!__sphere really useful as it allows me to clear away as the Saintly Mrs Awdry commands!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link Michael. :)

      Leon.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin and the same to you good Lady.

      Delete
  8. Good luck Dear Chap!
    I may also have a Victorian entry or two up my sleeve :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my good man, you can never have enough Victorian themed miniatures!

      Delete
  9. good luck!
    i'll wait for more great minis from you.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck mate, I am out of the blocks

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck sir - sounds like you will be very busy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck with the side challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget to use your Magic brush. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck I can't wait to see your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops, I spy a log of Victoriana there, best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Victorian loveliness there, probably more than will ever get done, but who knows eh?

      Delete
  16. Good luck with the challenge, looking forward to seeing what everyone produces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck in The Challenge, sir. Your painting work is fantastic so I´m looking forward to see your art.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a very entertaining looking collection of figs. I spy a Perry Mahdist artillery piece and crew for starters and I'm intrigued by the nellie. Best of luck mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good spot on the Perry Mahdist artillery, the nellie will see a welcome return to the Indian Mutiny and has been the subject of my attention for most of today.

      Delete
  19. Good luck fellow painter.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck, Michael!
    I'm curious to see whether we'll tackle all the bonus rounds, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck, Michael....looking forward very much to your Bonus Round Themed Entries. As of this morning, the first of mine are still en route in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Luck Michael, your in for some stiff competition. I know Tim personally & he is a painting machine. Puts my paltry 3 figures a week tops into the bottom of the Where is he now Category

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great stuff, Mr. Awdry, sir! By peering at your collection of minis I can see you have your work cut out for you. I very much look forward to the great toing and froing amongst you Victorian-themed pugilists (I can just visualize the striped muscle shirts, hair promade and handlebar moustaches!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Andrew and I might add that I shall be looking forward to seeing what comes from your painting table.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...