Tuesday 12 March 2024

Villagers

Having assembled my protagonists for the planned game of Shoot N' Skedaddle, I couldn’t help but feel that they were very much akin to the gang of marauding Banditos from the celluloid gem that is 'The Magnificent Seven'.  

This connection was to open of a rabbit hole of pure boyhood joy and self expression as I set out to recreate the ill fated village for the table top.  Whilst I waited for a sizable order of MDF from the ever reliable ‘Sarissa Precision’, I toyed with the idea of having some non combatants to add a touch of local colour to the setting.  

I had an idea that they could amble around and generally get in the way of what was going to be a three way gun battle.  As luck would have it, 'Wargames Foundry' do a couple of rather nice packs of Mexican Villagers and Peons.  A bit like the 'Artizan Designs' Banditos these are just great fun to paint.  Even after all this time there is very little flash and the detailing is not over complicated.  Having opted for a very straightforward palette they were based in grey primer and then I just made a couple of passes with the airbrush lightening the tone each time.  With the skin colour added and few details and they were done! 

As you will see in the close up shots, I managed to overdo the varnish again, but it isn’t too noticeable at arm’s length.  All that I needed to do now was build their village!


27 comments:

  1. Brush on varnish is the way to go. You can control what is actually applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I use a brush on gloss varnish forst, but stupidly reached for my matt picture varnish even though it was near the end of the rattle can and I could hear that it was losing pressure.

      Delete
  2. Great looking villagers, Michael! Great new project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These should add a lot of flavour to the game Michael, as people don't just disappear when a fight breaks out, and excellent job on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave and I couldn't agree more. We tried randomly moving them around at the end of each turn. It worked to a point, but could have had a lot more fun with it.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done Michael, I think a lot of tables could do with 'non-combatants' who live there. I believe there are a couple rulesets that take them into account when players 'do things' that could agitate them or earn their support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea Terry, especially the random chance element. I tend only to play light hearted encounters that are often narrative driven and very much a social event so the idea of addition unforeseen events is very appealing.

      Delete
  5. These look great Michael, civilian bystanders are always a cool addition to any game/scenario/collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, really pleased at whole quickly I was able to turn them out too.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work as always Michael! Looking forward to seeing the rest of this project flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill, there are some more bits and pieces to come. Even found myself looking at the 'What a Cowboy' rules last night.

      Delete
  7. Those are very good looking figures Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The figures look mighty fine Sir M, I couldn't see any varnish problems of the figures??? I've completely given up on spray varnishes, after ruining too many figures. Brush on varnish rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, that's very kind of you, but there are definitely some gloopy deposits. I use a brush on gloss varnish now, but really enjoy the ultra matt finish the picture varnish gives. Just out of curiosity what brand do you use?

      Delete
  9. Excellent looking villagers, always good to have some non combatants!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, they definitely help the table come alive.

      Delete
  10. Top notch stuff, Michael, and what a wonderous film that was. Indeed, as something of a guilty pleasure I rather like Lee Van Cleef's "Magnificent Seven Ride!" too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Simon. "Magnificent Seven Ride', now there is a film I haven't seen in an awfully long time.

      Delete
  11. Airbrush! all this modern technology, will it ever catch on? Well done Michael, go to the top of the class again. Airbrush!!! never heard of such a thing. Whats wrong with a paint brush? Ware will it all end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry Andrew, I must try harder! Thank you though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...