Saturday 9 July 2022

An East wind blows

Another academic year has drawn to a close in its usual frenatic way.  With so much crammed into a truncated second half of term, I failed to meet my June posting target.  I haven't the time nor the inclination to speak of it here apart from one small matter that has directly influenced this post.  In the closing weeks of the year, the school welcomes pupils from sur le continent to attend, what is in effect, a summer school.  They bring a certain exuberance and joie de vie that I tend to actively avoid as I proofread reports and lament on another year passed.  However this year, one young gentlemen turned out to be a wargamer with a particular penchant for 'Bolt Action'. I happened to mention my meagre efforts with the 'Castle', the boards, miniatures and vehicles still stashed around the school, and once unearthed, the young chap looked wide eyed upon the collection and uttered, 'we should play a game'.

One section of the castle board was duly wrestled from its hiding place and witnessed a brief encounter between the German and Soviet armies.  Fast, furious and hugely enjoyable, much credit has to go to the young monsieur for that not only did he show great patience at my constant questioning, but also explained the rules in a second language!* 

*I like to think I was instrumental in the broadening of his language skills.

It has been a lean year on the hobby front, but I have always enjoyed a summer project and the prospect of catching up with friends to roll some dice in anger.  I had 'loosely' planned to host a return to the 'Congo', but given my all too brief initiation into 'Bolt Action' have decided to embrace a whole new adventure, cue audible groans from regular readers!  Having already amassed some WWII German forces, I thought I would look to find some suitable opponents and so, without any further ado, my new summer project will be...

...a 1000 point Soviet Army for Bolt Action!

I have to confess that this came as a complete surprise to me, but I happened to be reading 'Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad' by William Craig and had enjoyed the spirit in which the Soviets had played in our little encounter that it seemed destined to be.  I am approaching this project with some trepidation as a mass of troops, all wearing the same colour uniforms, sounds so far out of my comfort zone to be ridiculous, but I have enjoyed writing lists and amassing the requisite troops already having first broken my piggy bank.  

My hope is to spend the summer sharing a series of 'Work in Progress' posts as I try and put the army together whilst taking the time to reconnect with the neglected community in our cozy corner of the 'Blogosphere'.

I have even created a new WWII sidebar button, using the artwork of Gordon C. Livingstone originally created for Ian Clark's, Commando issue 2751, 'Grant's Grudge', 1994.



39 comments:

  1. Sounds like the student has become the teacher Michael ! LOL Has certainly started a new adventure for you, hope it goes well and look forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so.🤣 As always, many thanks for the kind words Dave.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back posting mate, sure hope you can get some spare time now to push this project forward, I can't believe I'm writing this, but this is one time I might actually want to see a Russian army advancing!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roger. I need to catch up with what you are doing too. For some reason, my gmail account is not pushing notifications so I seem to be missing a lot of content, possibly due to inactivity?

      Delete
  3. Splendid to see you back posting, Michael. This sounds like an awesome project, and one I shall be following with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Try as I might, I just couldn't sit down and write my usual more involved posts so hoping this way, I might ease myself back in.

      Delete
  4. Glad the hobby has bitten you again Michael and it seems you have a chosen a nice little project. I'm sure you know how these small Soviet project grow and grow...
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, I have experienced some mission creep already, but aiming to get the miniatures painted first before moving on to support pieces. Let's see how long that lasts!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you caught the BA bug!

    Soviets are a smashing choice to collect as they have one of the most varied army lists in the game so there’s loads of choices to make for a really fun and unique collection. They also happen to be my original army of choice :) if you need any hobby tips for helping relieve that “painting 100 figs the same khaki “, email me - deadestdai at g mail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dai! Yes, expect an email a little later today. I shall need all the help I can get.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with this new, quite unexpected, project. It's things like this that give us energy and enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, didn't see this one either, but have always loved a project.

      Delete
  7. You are doomed. On the upside bolt action is excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am worried this might be the case. First impressions were that it is great fun. Really only had a quick run out, but really enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. this is me by the way, one of my devices is playing up.

      Delete
    3. I am having similar problems. Currently having to reload the page just to leave comments on my own blog!

      Delete
  8. Nice, I found priming with halfords khaki spray and a wash of agrax earthshade gets you a long way! Plastic soldier company do a very economical box of artillery and heavy weapons for 28mm figures too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, off to investigate Plastic Soldier Company!

      Delete
  9. Nice to see you have a summer project in mind Michael gosh that quite a lot of Russians though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already worried that I have bitten off more than I can chew, but it is a long holiday!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you have managed to get a game in and it's given you some enthusiasm to hobby.
    I recently got back into Bolt Action and it's a brilliant little WW2 game. I look forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, obviously have more reading to do, but enjoyed the outing.

      Delete
  11. Great looking new project, Michael. Looking forward to seeing your excellent brushwork on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. Slow progress at the moment as the room that I paint is is so hot. That said, I am really enjoying tinkering around again.

      Delete
  12. Will the student be back for more I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a possibility, but they don't tend to. Shame really as I would have loved to have shown him what he inspired.

      Delete
  13. WW2 Russians? Seriously? After all my horror stories? Oh well good luck to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see you back Michael! I've been working, albiet slowly, on my BEF force for Chain of Command, another WW2 game system I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be a bit early to say I am back, especially after so many false starts. That said, I am enjoying the process again and it has been fun catching up with people. I have heard of Chain of Command, is that Lardies?

      Delete
    2. Yes it is! I much prefer it to the Ain't Been Shot Mom Card system.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to have to have a look at that, thank you Terry.

      Delete
  15. Excellent news - good to see a new project

    ReplyDelete
  16. This should be a great project - I look forward to seeing your progress, Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...