Sunday 17 July 2022

Wrap up warm!

 Progress this week hasn't been too bad, not a huge amount of miniatures painted but some important decisions made.  As always my biggest hurdle is deciding on a colour palette.  I have picked up a few reference books and the infoweb is awash with examples of 28mm Soviet Infantry, but it is if I need my hand holding and someone sayong, "put this colour on that part."  I am fine once I get started and happy to take a free and easy approach to historical accuracy, but those tentative first steps can be quite daunting.

The goal has been to achieve a level of competence that doesn't jar the eye too much, but is relatively quick to get the troops done.  I have drawn on the experiences of several gentlemen and fellow Bloggers, namely Dai (The Lost and the Damned and the Stunted), Sander (Modus Reg Magni Momenti) and Moitnerei (Moiterei's bunte Welt).  All have experience of putting together a similar force and so I was able to glean a few great ideas from them all and particularly this little gem, a 'Soviet Colour Guide!'
A few liberties have been taken, particularly with the colour of the ushanka fur hat, but ultimately I am pleased with the first half of my first section.  At this point they have not been varnished as I am not sure about insignia of uniforms, collar flashes for example?  If anyone has any thoughts then do please share.  As for the bases, I am thinking that they will ultimately have a snowy feel to them, but will be leaving that until I have more of the force assembled. 
These were from the 'Warlord Games' Soviet Infantry (Winter) box and I absolutely loved painting them.  Great fun to build and just the right amount of detail to keep me interested without becoming too difficult; being plastic they are also more forgiving when I drop them too!  There is a slight conversion using one of the arms from the Siberian Veterans box, but I ultimately I was a little disappointed with this purchase.  It is essentially a mix of winter and summer uniform sprues with a few metal heads.  That said, I am going to use the summer uniform sprues for the 'green' free section, progress for which is underway, see below, so not all is lost. 
Not quite sure what record breaking temperatures means for 'Awdry Towers', but I am hopeful to make a bit more progress next week, spurred on by my visual troop tracker! 









40 comments:

  1. These look great Michael, as fore the accuracy I couldn't comment, but to me they look perfect, keep up the great progress. As for the heat, just keep adding more water to your paint, it will make it work longer, unless your using a wet palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Struggled to get any paint on models today, but some progress was made first thing.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work sir!
    Beautiful pallete of colours.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, once I got the colours sorted out it was relatively straightforward.

      Delete
  3. Off to a ripping start Michael. In Australia I've had paint dry instantly on the palette. Maybe try adding vodka!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank and now there is idea! What could possibly go wrong?

      Delete
  4. excellent, as always. Who said irony was dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, the idea of doing snow effects just at the moment made me chuckle.

      Delete
  5. Lovely minis Michael, cracking job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely painting as we've come to expect from your good self, the colours look spot on to me, sorry wouldn't dare comment on insignia for fear of getting it wrong.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Riger, felt happy with them, especially as it has been a while since I have painted anything.

      Delete
  7. They look great to me, but I'llleave it to the 'experts' on the colour choices. Love your figure tracking process...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joe. I feel a flash of red here and there may help, but not sure where. As for the tracker, anything visual helps me keep organised, if I can tinker and doodle I will.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful stuff Michael, nice to see the Russians coming off the production line.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart. Really pleased to get the first ones done now on with the slog!

      Delete
  9. Great job! It's a little strange to see a pouch for PPSH discs on a soldier with a rifle and sapper blades on his left side, but this is a trifle. I am looking forward to the continuation with interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am afraid any mistakes will be my lack of knowledge, for which I apologise. I must have thought that was a grenade pouch. Any thoughts about showing insignia?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I like how to do it Moitnerei - buttonholes only at NCO. I myself collect the Red Army for 43 years, then epaulettes have already appeared

      Delete
    4. He certainly is a great painter. Thank you again for all your encouragement.

      Delete
  10. More great work on these Michael & I will be sure to return to your paint guide, as I will at some time be building early war Soviet forces. Our group seems to be content with doing France 40/ Russia 41 era which is great to have us focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry. Nick's painting guide is great and I have now adapted it a bit for my simplified efforts.

      Delete
  11. Great work. I'm not an expert but I don't think you need to worry too much about insignias before 1943. I think they just had enamel badges on the collar points. After 1943 the (Tsarist-era) shoulder boards were re-introduced with different colours for the different unit-types. I think red shoulder boards for infantry units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, this is really helpful! I have tried to simplify things so pleased to hear that I don't need to worry overly about insignia.

      Delete
    2. Glad it helps :) - I should also have said 1943 onwards (rather than after 1943) as the shoulder boards definitely came in mid-War - I think at the start of 1943 though I can't find the exact date now. The collar also changed from a pointed collar to a mandarin style collar but I'm not sure that's worth worrying about too much.

      I was also trying to find this site last time I commented, but found it now! There's a bit of info here:

      https://ordinarygaming.blogspot.com/2012/03/painting-wwii-soviet-infantry-part-1.html

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, that's quite a resource! I think I shall keep things to an absolute minimum as this looks like a potential minefield!

      Delete
    4. Yes I think my original comment holds...keep it simple and you should be fine. :)

      Delete
  12. Great attention to detail Michael ... also love the green hues on the uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some mixing in there, but most of it is straight form the pot if I am honest.

      Delete
  13. awesome crisp painting as always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking bunch of Sovs, Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...