Saturday 30 July 2022

Rifle Section Ready

I have mentioned before how I had found inspiration in the painting guide found on 'Moiterei's bunte Welt'.  Unfortunately this only dealt with the 'summer' uniform and although I was able to adapt it my needs, I had a sudden panic when dealing with the Telogreika padded jackets worn by some of my troops.  Fortunately, Nick very kindly came to my rescue and suggested a couple of colours and techniques to incorporate into what I was already doing.
After using a suitable 'earth' colour for the base everything was given a wash, something I always worry about.  I have used washes and glazes and understand the technique, but I always shudder at covering over a nicely painting miniature in this way.  In this case the purpose is simply to accentuate the depth between the padded sections, which then allows me to highlight the raised sections to sell the illusion.
All relatively straightforward stuff, but it helped tremendously having someone just guide me through those initial steps and choices for a colour palette.  The idea is to have recognisably Soviet troops for the tabletop as opposed to historically accurate ones and so my simplified style is working as well as I could have hoped. 
So with the addition of these four, I have my first completed Rifle section with Light Machine Gun support.  There is another of these to come, along with two Veteran Sub Machine Gun sections, but first I need to finish of the other half of the 'Green' Rifle section.  

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful work as always sir!
    Uniform looking amazing.
    Moiterei's works are really great and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MIchal. I really love Moiterei's work, so inspirational.

      Delete
  2. Looking fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look excellent Michael, and progressing well through the force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, all going well so far. I have finished the next section too, just need to get the post written up.

      Delete
  4. More great work, Michael. Really enjoying seeing this project coming to life as the Ruskies get painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I am fighting every fibre in my body not to get distracted by scenic elements yet.

      Delete
  5. Terrific looking troops Sir M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully painted figures, Michael, and they'e definitely recognizably Red Army! The soldier on the left in the third photo down, is he wearing an Order of Lenin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. I just saw what I thought was a medal ribbon and painted it red. I was about to blag my reply to your comment, but have just realised that the Order of Lenin was a civilian award? Perhaps it could be a misshapen Hero of the Soviet Union medal?

      Delete
  7. Well done getting these to such a high standard, especially give your reservations on colourings. All the western armies in WW" had such diverese uniforms , with not a standaard one in sight - "Fifty shades of Field Grey"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me giggle Joe, thank you. Best comment of the day.

      Delete
  8. As all have said above, beautiful work as always mate! Great to have you blogging again, always inspirational!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roger, I have certainly missed it. Already worried about the return to work though.

      Delete
  9. I remember doing about 150 Russians for our Stalingrad board this brought back the nightmare LOL nice work on your figures. Look out for those bayonets in your foam case!

    Our board is here
    https://glasgowwarhog.blogspot.com/2019/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and funnily enough I have just been offering up those very troops to the foam trays and then scratching my head in that 'this isn't going to work' way. Thank you also for the link, oh my word! What a game, I will be returning frequently and may have a question or two for you as my projects develops.

      Delete
  10. Hi Michael
    You can MAKE THOSE DREAMS COME TRUE. It happens not just in Disney LOL - just keep building and painting.

    Our videos are in here for Stalingrad (but also check out the Pacific...and get you feet wet on the beach at Tarawa...)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcbfQWfPTJ9B1w0haKcXAzA

    On the question of our Stalingrad build game (incl. the bricks, factory and lathes etc.) see here...
    https://glasgowwarhog.blogspot.com/2018/10/
    Happy to help and remember to keep rolling the dice...you'll get a 6 sometime LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have throughly enjoyed reading the blog so far and have no doubt that I will be popping back time and again. I can't seem to follow it though? 3D printing has obviously revolutionised your builds, so many interesting models that make for a wonderfully unique experience.

      Delete
  11. Nice start to the platoon, Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...