Thursday 1 May 2014

A 28mm Hovel



There will be little here of news to most, but I just wanted to document the fact that I managed to put together one of my 'Salute 2014' purchases - a '4Ground' Saxon or Medieval Hovel.  I have heard an awful lot of good things said about their buildings and particularly the pre-painted versions and so when looking for suitable peasant accommodation for my foray into 'Witchfinder General' they seemed the obvious place to go.
Helpful dinosaurs aside*, this was a breeze to put together and I was really thrilled with the quality of the design and the attention to detail.  I have to confess that I was a little sceptical about the pre-painted angle, but I'm now totally hooked!  The subtlety of the painting and the etching of the laser just make this a superb model.  I may yet be tempted to add some details at a later date, particularly if this were to represent a Witch's hovel, but it really is good to go strait onto the table.
*Something about the teddy bear fur seemed to set Rexie off!



So taken with it when he saw the 'Dark Templar' ordered up one for himself for use with his new 'secret project'.  He has ingeniously added magnets to keep roof on - take a look here.

30 comments:

  1. Nice work. Good to see the project moving along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dastardly dinos, always photobombing ;)

    The 4Ground buildings are very nice and incredibly simple to put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a swine, I tell you. Looking forward to the fantasy buildings they are realising in July - perfect for pirates too!

      Delete
  3. I just need a gaming board like yours now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent work, Michael; I too, purchased said building at Salute, but am still to build it. Like you, it is my first foray into 4Ground and I'm looking forward to diving in. I may wash and dry-brush the teddy fur once all processes are complete to try and give it some depth, as I'm not fully convinced by it yet. Oh, where did you get your Celtic cross from? I'm after one for my Dark Age stuff ;)
      Cheers,
      Monty



      Delete
  4. That does look rather good! Nice work Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice looking building Michael.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely little hovel, reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very simple and effective building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are a joy and inspired design work.

      Delete
  8. Home sweet hovel. Looks great, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A realistic touch would be to arrange some vikings around it and set it on fire. ;)
    But my history is rusty ... who were the saxon's real nemesis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's an idea although not sure I could bare to see it go up in flames! I understand that Saxons weren't overly keen on the Normans.

      Delete
  10. Nice bit of kit there Michael. Keep going on the project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nice - looks like it went together well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a nice model ! I'm not a fan of laser-cut ones but this will be good on the table, I suppose !
    Good idea and realisation for the roofing !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovey work, I'm a big fan of 4Ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That really does look rather good

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...