Tuesday 13 May 2014

Blood on the Sword...


… a band is born.

This marks the final post of a retrospective look at my entries for the 'Fourth Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge' - I promise!  Although entered in the 'Heroes' bonus round, this Celtic War band was always a priority to get done over the winter months and was created to be used with the splendid skirmish rules created by the 'Dark Templar'.  


The group is made up of a variety of 28mm miniatures from including Boudi from 'Hasslefree Miniatures', some line breakers from 'Warlord Games' and a couple of slingers from 'Crusader Miniatures'.  Intended to strike fear into the invading legionaries, this heroic band of freedom fighters was linked by a subtle use of blue, whether it be in the kilt or the woad body paint.



These were an absolute joy to do, probably because they were so different from what I would normally be working on, I even relished painting the different tartans and patterns.  I had plans for a musician and a druid, neither of which have seen the light of day and will probably be banished to the darkest reaches of the lead pile as I continue to be distracted by the next big thing - whatever that might be.


As I was taking the last few photographs and enjoying arranging the miniatures around the rather splendid Celtic cross - bought specially for the occasion from 'Ainsty Castings', I couldn't help but think that they looked a little like a soft metal band from the eighties!  


This was too good an opportunity to pass up and I decided to have some fun with a picture editor and before I knew it the band was born!  This reminded me of the rather silly game we used to play whilst sitting in the student union that saw us creating track lists for fictitious albums based on themes.  Anything would go and the tracks might be by artist, title, genre and could even include puns, so in this instance we might include, 'Die by the Sword' by Slayer or perhaps 'Mull of Kintyre' by Wings!  So let's have your suggestions for tracks for Celtic Shores new album 'Blood on the Sword' and I'll list the best in this post.


A Side:

"Shadows" by Sabaton. (Luca Tempesta)
"One for the Woad" by Judas Priest (Evan Hughes)
"Body Torc" by Ratt
"Iceni Face Before" by Grace Jones  
"Druids in White Satin" by The Woady Blues (MarkG)
"Headtaker" by Led Chariot
"Brigantian Rhapsody" by Queen (Boudica)
"Caratacus...a-ah" He'll save everyone of us by Queen (Boudica)
"Gaesatae are Strange" by The 'I've Never Heard of' Doors! (Damn strange Roman invention if you ask me!!)

B Side:

"Bad Intentions"by Woad the Wet Sprocket (Finch)
"Woad Painted Elements in the Air" by Boudie and the Banshees (Panzer Kaput)

?







Still need further inspiration?  You could check out this Horrible History song, but I warn you it is a bit of an ear worm! 





84 comments:

  1. Excellent group of figs! Great job especially on the all the detail of the tattoos, tartans, and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jason, they were a joy to work on.

      Delete
  2. Amazing paint job! I like especially your work on the tatoos and tartans, fantastic details Michael, a beautiful band, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I think because they were something so different to what I normally do that I enjoyed them all the more.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous paintjob, Sir Michael !
    Especially the tartan-like pattern look awesome.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stefan, I really enjoyed the tartan.

      Delete
  4. Daaaaamn they look great! I'm absolutely in awe of that tartan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that is really kind of you to say so.

      Delete
  5. Splendid work mate. No song titles from me. But they do look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, this was one of my favourite entries for the challenge.

      Delete
  6. Stunning paint work Sir !

    Will be greate to heare more about the skirmish rules you will use, and thank you very much for the link to the history videos, never seen them befoer:)

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, the rules were designed by the Dark Templar, but sadly he seems to have become disheartened with the project. as for the Horrible Histories, be careful they become addictive!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful paintwork Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful job!
    i would suggest to include "Shadows" by Sabaton.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luca and I shall add your track to the album.

      Delete
  9. Very nice work, Mr Awdry; and given the etymology of the name 'Boudica' from the Celtic word for 'victory', it could be said that this is still a 'Victorian' subject...!

    I've been thinking about the track listing for the album - how about a cover of the Judas Priest classic "One for the Woad"? Or Ratt's 1986 hit, "Body Torc"?

    Like the cross as well - very metal!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's what I'm talking about Ev, great punning Sir!

      Delete
    2. I tried to find something metal with some British tribal names', but all I could think of was Grace Jones' 1981 hit 'Iceni Face Before'...
      ; )

      Delete
  10. Lovely figures Michael - great brushwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic!!
    I nominated you for a Liebster award (play if you want to)
    http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2014/05/liebster-awards-par-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you so much for the nomination - that is very generous of you.

      Delete
  12. Superb and you can tell you've enjopyed painting them. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I certainly did enjoy working on them.

      Delete
  13. Every warband that has a woman, is considered to be lethal - same rule applies for your painting skills Sir Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thanos, never argue with a lady, especially one holding a spear!

      Delete
  14. They are super-dooper, Michael! LIT-ER-A-LLY! (whoa-whooa!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, there it goes again that blasted ear worm! Thank you.

      Delete
  15. Those look like they were a ton of fun to work with ;)

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were certainly one of my favourite entries for the challenge, probably because they were just so different from what I would normally do.

      Delete
  16. Excellent painting. I will work on the song titles.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendon, I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful paintwork Michael .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous work on these - lirrerly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is really nice work. Not sure about the song. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred, give it time it grows on you! ;)

      Delete
  20. Colours are beautiful and I love the way how every mini is tied together by blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, the idea was to have a distinctive visual link on the table.

      Delete
  21. They are all fantastic Michael but but I can see ones of them has his Wilbur out! I'd bloody run if he came charging at me for that reason alone!

    Seriously they are fantastic especially the war paint on the berserker. Well done that man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want him running towards me either!

      Delete
  22. Fantastic painting work! Really nice group!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super nice painting skills displayed here, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jay, most kind of you.

      Delete
  24. Beautiful work Michael. U got to love a Kev White sculpt!

    Now my rather pathetic entries for the album;

    Druids in White Satin-by The Woady Blues
    Headtaker-by Led Chariot
    Brigantian Rhapsody-by err... Queen (Boudica)
    Caratacus...a-ah He'll save everyone of us-by Queen (Boudica)
    Gaesatae are Strange by The 'I've Never Heard of' Doors! Damn strange Roman invention if you ask me!!

    Sorry, I hang my head in shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shame there Mark, fabulous efforts, I shall have to get them all on the Album!

      Delete
  25. Fantastic band of warriors. You have to do the druid, so he can make them their mistletoe brew for battle.
    The guy with his cock out reminds me of Slaine pre battle warp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob, I'll have to see if I can did the druid out of the pile.

      Delete
  26. Stunning work, every one of them! I'm slightly concerned by just how attractive the redhead appears to me. The tattoos and tartan are killer as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monty, I think I was falling under her spell whilst painting her.

      Delete
  27. Wonderful work Michael, great job on the plaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott, that was surprisingly relaxing to do.

      Delete
  28. I said it before and I'll say it again here... PHWOAR!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful work, as always! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful looking figures Michael! They look very energetic!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, the line breakers are great sculpts with a real sense of movement to them.

      Delete
  31. Great stuff as always, Michael. Might I suggest "Bad Intentions" by Woad the Wet Sprocket for the B side?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful work on the tartans Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Excellent Tartan....I mean very good indeed, possibly some of the best tartan I have seen on a miniature. Well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really kind of you to say so, I really enjoyed doing them.

      Delete
  34. Wonderfully painted Celts there Michael and they so do look like a soft metal band for the 80s.

    May I suggest "Woad Painted Elements in the Air" by Boudie and the Banshees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pete and great track - I shall add it immediately.

      Delete
  35. Amazing paintings!!
    Can i ask you too ? Do you have an idea of my dilemma ?
    I wright it on my blog. I need a Service Dress Reference for Cavalry Regiments of the British Army in India (not Cavalry Regiments of Indian Army) during 1860 - 1914. Do you have some stuff about ?
    Thanks and Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lord Gordon, my apologies for not replying sooner. I have been looking through my limited research, but sadly there is very little that may be of help to you. I have the Osprey edition of the Indian Mutiny, but the rest of my research comes from the internet. I am so sorry that I can't be of more help.

      Delete
  36. Excellent work on these figures! I like the tatoos!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  37. Years later and this has popped up on a Google search I was doing- still most awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, I can't believe that this was three years ago already!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...