Sunday 18 May 2014

Blood Bowl can be bad for your Elf!



A second outing for the South Coast Saurus saw them pitted against the 'Dark Templar's' Darkblades, a welcomed opportunity to see what the mighty lizards could do up against an Elf team ahead of a showdown with Bullcher Feb's Pro Elves.

Although missing a couple of big guys from the previous match all seemed to go well from the kick off with a rock thrown from the crowd clattering one of Mike's Elves - surely this was going to be easy!



 Pushing through the middle of the park, the Saurus were putting the elves down, but couldn't do any lasting damage, a frustration that would continue throughout the match.


Poor ickle Elves, got a hurty?

All seemed to be going to plan with the ball seemingly safely screened and the Skinks poised to run in for the touchdown, but I decided to try and be clever!  I wanted to try and run down the moves to reduce the scoring opportunities for the Darkblades, if we could end the half 1-0 to the good then the Saurus would certainly be in the ascendence. 

What could possibly go wrong?

With plenty of gaps to exploit the plan seemed foolproof, but the truth was that my team was too thinly spread and although there was only one alternative open to Mike he took it and executed the move perfectly.  A successful Blitz saw the Darkblades snaffle the ball  and scream down my unprotected flank.  The Skinks tried to slow up the progress, but the Elves just seemed to skip through and there was the touchdown just as the half was up - blast!


0-1 Darkblades

Not so fast now!
Not the best defence against a Dark Elf.


 Kicking to the Darkblades it seemed that everything went against me.  From the kick off the ball landed at the feet of their runner, this coupled with a rock thrown from the crowd knocking down a member of my defensive line meant that their was hole for the Elves to exploit. 


Exploit they did and when they get space they become incredibly hard to stop.  I just couldn't get through their armour and in no time at all they had scored again!

0-2 Darkblades

There was still time to score and I decided to resort to a tactic that had served me well before - loading up one flank with the Skink runners lying in wait, but then disaster struck!  Mike gets a free move before the kick off and suddenly there is line of Dark Elves BEHIND my offensive line!  Fine, thinks I,  we will just maim as many as we can, but oh no a double Both Down with no re-rolls left - turnover and another score to the Elves.

0-3 Darkblades

There was no time left for another score from either side, but I was determined to come away with some points - cue a dinosaur bloodlust! 

Skinks question why the Magician shot his bolt so soon in game!

Some hard lessons learnt, but some much needed experience was gained - perhaps most importantly getting a Saurus upgrade.  Purchases have been made and we will be travelling with an additional re-roll and an Apothecary to the next match.  I need to thank Mike for his patience, generous support and not to mention the title banner that I've lifted from his superb log where you can read a much more comprehensive report here.

Rawwwwr!


32 comments:

  1. Those elves are tricky better luck in your next match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have them Robert. with the Big Fella back and a mighty blow upgrade we will be looking to be much more aggressive.

      Delete
  2. Great post Sir M! Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, I suppose you can't win them all and least I came away with some points.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you need better crowd control with all those rocks being thrown from the crowd!

    You'll get 'em next time, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the crowd found their mark, I tried a short pass to garner so extra points at the end and failed to collect!

      Delete
  4. Those tricksy elves and their dodging is enough to drive a man to drink. Better luck next time out dude.
    Some very nice miniatures on show. Love the Dark Elf subs bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, they were just too quick to exploit the gaps I left for them. The Dug out is Mike Reynolds' creation and really adds to the feel of the game. I have an urge to design a jungle themed one for my Dinos.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you should make one, that would be brilliant.

      Delete
  5. very funny report and great minis!
    well done anyway!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember playing in a BB league years ago, and if you wanted to improve your team in a hurry you played against the Wood Elves (that poor guy).

    So long ago... I'll I can really say is GOOD LUCK AGAINST THOSE ELEPHANTS!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants? No one told me about the elephants!

      Delete
    2. You'll have to ask Lt. George & Cpt. Blackadder!

      Delete
  7. Lucky you to play BB! Even The Laughing Ferret had a hard time against the Elves and he plays tournaments. Nice looking figures on that table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The league is proving incredibly addictive, but I'm starting to feel a little more familiar with the rules - or at know where to go to look things up!

      Delete
  8. Ah the best laid plans of men, erm lizards. I found that it's always too tempting not to go for a score and just "try one last thing".
    Good game report and lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was I thinking! I should have run the ball in and taken my chances on the scrimmage line - surely the dice would have gone my way in the end?

      Delete
  9. Nice report.. I like how you tried to be sneaky, and that unfortunately it didn't work. Can't do great things without taking a few risks ;) Am sure you will get them better next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One too many risks this time I'm afraid, I must learn only to do what actually needs to happen first!

      Delete
  10. Don't know BB...but it seems to be a great game...beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elves are tricky at the bests of times and damn right murder at the worst. I saw an elf team start from behind the half way line run, dodge, dodge again, throw, catch, doge a further three times and two go for it to win the game and they were playing a Chaos Dwarf team. The best damn move I have even seen to win a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds like a move and a half - wow! Mike certainly knows what he is doing with them and really piled on the misery in the second half.

      Delete
  12. Great post match report. Lizards are an interesting team and need a bit of practice to get used to, but any twit can play those agile elves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a balancing act with them and I found that I was getting ahead of myself because of the Skinks speed. Still there is always next time.

      Delete
  13. Excellent game report, Michael.
    Sorry to hear about your defeat but I hope it was a funny game anyway. Better luck next time!

    All the best
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefan, it was a fun game and most importantly invaluable practice for me. I may not have scored any touchdowns, but I did come away with some points!

      Delete
  14. Fun looking game Michael, I've always liked the look of Bloodbowl but have never quite got into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great fun, but I am very lucky to have been invited to join a league with some very generous gentlemen.

      Delete
  15. Do you actually mean 'Eat them'? I know my chaps have teeth, but I wasn't aware of the scenario! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS tag you're up buddy!
    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/liebstered.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...