I must start by saying just how overwhelmed, but how very grateful I am at all the positive comments and feedback that I received for 'Whitechapel 1888'. The vignette really was a labour of love, but serves very little purpose other than allowing me to experiment with painting and model making techniques - something that I particularly enjoy.
Throughout the process I took a series of photographs to catalogue its development and thought that I would share them here as a form of 'how to', although it must be stressed that many of the ideas and details that are used have been 'reappropriated' from other more talented chaps out there. The initial build is based on a humble CD and built up with foam core with a plastic window frame (available from Antenocitis Workshop) cut into it.
Model railway preformed plasticard was used to represent the brickwork, with additional strips of plain plasticard employed to add further detail around the window. Other details included the broken down pipe, which is a plastic tube affixed with some paper fasteners. Vallejo Oxide Paste is a great product, much finer than my usual basing medium it adds a fine texture to the surface of what you are painting whilst having the added advantage of sealing any gaps; the was liberally spread around the build to enhance the texture.
From quite early on, I had a notion that I wanted some form of simple gutter that the blood would flow into, all very cinematic I know, but I couldn't shake it. I managed to solve this by raising the pavement using simple Styrofoam sheet. This had the added benefit of allowing me to 'drawn' into with a biro to achieve the flagstones. The gutter was created by thinning the sheet and facing of the remaining edge with some miniature bricks.
In a bid to save some time I thought I would use the same preformed plasticard for the base to represent cobbles and duly stuck it down only to find 24 hours later that something had disagreed with the plastic, buckling the floor - disaster!
Fortunately it was at this point that I heard that we had all been granted an extension and set about using the time to rebuild my little piece of London town. I was also mightily relieved to see that the bricks used for the wall had stayed in place, particularly as I had worked hard on my first attempt at Object Source Lighting created by the lamppost.
In order to give the illusion that this horrific crime was going on under the noses of the everyday people, I needed a device that could break up the scene, shielding Jack and his victim from sight. I stumbled upon the idea of a clothes line and actually found an image of some actual Victorian street clotheslines that were been sold at a reclamation yard and fashioned my own version from bits of plastic, wire and tissue paper. It is also removable, allowing me to potentially reuse the street as a possible location for future photo-shoots!
The addition of a Reaper Boners Rat swarm and liberally sprayed water and blood effects complete the scene. My plans for the next two bonus rounds may need to be reigned in a bit now, especially having given this one so much attention, but I am delighted with how it finally came together.