Wednesday 13 November 2013

Dinosaurs Attack!

A new page added!


With the 'Mars Attacks!' Kickstarter now successfully funded* and the self indulgent frippery that is Dinovember gathering pace, I thought I would share another of my collections of Topps Trading Cards.  So this, then, is the briefest of posts to launch the new 'Dinosaurs Attack!' page; the tab is located just below the title banner, but be warned!

*My goodness that turned out to be an expensive introduction to the world's largest funding platform!


'Dinosaurs Attack!' is a trading card series by Topps, released in 1988, and containing 55 cards and 11 sticker cards.  From the offset it needs to made clear that these cards contain images of graphic, comic violence and gore akin to the 1960s 'Mars Attacks!' cards and even the 'Civil War News' collection.  While 'Mars Attacks!' was a parody of alien invasion movies, 'Dinosaurs Attack!' was supposedly inspired by monster movies such as The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and Godzilla.


The story, such as it is, tells of dinosaurs transported through time as a scientific experiment goes horribly wrong.  The imagery is very much of its time, intended to be shocking, but now looking decidedly dated.  Whilst many of our favourite dinosaurs are featured, they are often portrayed with glaring inaccuracies in a bid to sensationalise the series.  Laughably ridiculous in their design, the cards still hold a nostalgic quality of a time when all seemed lurid and vulgar beyond the pale - after all, do you remember fluorescent socks?







36 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat lady is a dead-eye shot! Saurs beware!!

      Delete
    2. Difficult to miss something that size though! ;)

      Delete
  2. Fascinating! I completely missed these campy cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure you've missed much Monty, but they are fun!

      Delete
  3. Whatever next? Zombie Dinosaurs know doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's funny you should mention that as I've a couple of dino skeletons kicking round and a bit of a surprise for later this month, if I ever get it finished!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I hoped they would appeal to man of your exquisite tastes! ;)

      Delete
  5. Your blogposts of late seem to be straying from what it says on the box! How about Her Majesty's 3rd Zombie Dinosaur Fusiliers? :-)

    The Cat Lady must be packing explosive shells in that shotgun of hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know what you are saying, but I beg your indulgence a little longer and then it will be a winter of historicals - I promise! (fingers crossed behind back!)

      Delete
  6. Laughably ridiculous? It all seems perfectly credible to me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of that old TV show "When Animals Attack!". Being for the 80's I recognize some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Not sure about classic, by hugely entertaining!

      Delete
  9. Some of the titels!!, Nuptial nightmare :-D My favourites are Day of the duckbill and lights!, camera!......carnage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola
    Interesante si señor
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like it is "Dino"vember for you Michael! Interesting read aboout those cards! Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinovember is certainly proving to be a bit of a blast.

      Delete
  12. Fluorescent socks? Hell, in 1982, I owned a pair!

    I also love dinosaurs, so this is a real bonus - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, just the one pair, I had at least two - so very cool! ;)

      Delete
  13. Great fun :) Though I was happy when fluorescent clothes finally died off, I'm happy to see dinosaurs come back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome graphics - wow that lady did a number on the Dino's eye!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Skeleton dinosaurs reminds me of an old Zero X comic story in TV21. I found it really scary when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The "Mars Attacks" was a parody.

    The original cards played it very straight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The "Mars Attacks" movie was a parody.

    The original cards on the other hand played it extremely straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not wrong and perhaps parody was the wrong word; it was used here because of the deliberate exaggeration of violence for comic effect.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...