Saturday 11 May 2024

Wamp!


 I have mentioned before how The Empire Strikes Back had me transfixed from its opening scene as the adventures from a galaxy far, far away unfolded for a second instalment.  We had had to wait three years for the second film and were eager to drink in all the details and atmosphere of this beloved franchise.  

Within minutes we were transported to the frozen planet of Hoth, a stark contrast to the twin suns of Tatooine, but nonetheless are intrepid hero, Luke Skywalker was been attacked and knocked cold from his Tauntaun!  Of course blink and you miss it, the roaring maw, a clawed arm swiping across the screen, the action unfolded so quickly, I remember being terrified and bemused in equal measure.  What was that?   Without the power of the infoweb at our disposal it took a while to learn of the Wampa, a native species to the frozen wastelands, even longer to hear of the deleted scenes that coloured its legend.  That aside the creature had become a firm favourite and so I am delighted to finally have a miniature version for my Star Wars: Legion collection. 


My Wampa was a gift in the form of 3D print from my good friend the 'Dark Templar'.  This is something that I am keen to try for myself, but so far have only managed to amass lots of files rather than the actual equipment required to magically turn them into physical items.  It would appear that I can horde just about anything!  

Ultimately this was a quick win from the painting point of view.  Essentially it was primed in grey then some initial coats of white built up before picking out the final details with a brush.  The basing followed the same colour scheme as my 'Rebel Veterans' to help tie everything together.  


Once completed, I used my now 'go to' technique for snow which is the AK Terrains Snow Acrylic lightly dusted with the AK Snow Microballoons.  The final flourish was some gore to represent his last meal. 


19 comments:

  1. Fantastic work on the Wampa Michael, as you say a classic scene in the second movie, one day I'd like to do more for the Icey realm, but really need to finish more of my other realms first ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave and like you I have a hankering for a frozen world. That said it is all deserts for me at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Deleted Wampa scenes ?!?! There goes another few hours of precious leasure time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibilities were endless and don't get me started about the short story from 'The Empire Strikes Back - from a certain point of view'!

      Delete
  3. Very cool!
    How is the Dark Templar? - we used to "chat" regularly through his blog but he clearly doesnt get to that much anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. The Dark Templar is well, but like a good many has found that the blog has served its purpose. I know that he is enjoying plenty of gaming fun with his son and I always look forward to our catch ups.

      Delete
  4. Excellent star wars monster, could double as grendle, you just need a Beowulf, love the gore!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain and that's a great idea! The gore is Tamiya Clear Red mixed with a little sepia ink and it dries with the shine giving it that freshly spilt quality.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful stuff Michael, the gore looks great.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart, always worry that the gore might go too far but seemed to work this time.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work as always mate, are even you going down the 3D printer route now 😉 makes me feel even older! 🤣🤣

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to find numerous helpful info right here in the publish, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome motivating article. Satisfied with your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You put truly extremely accommodating data. Continue blogging Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There’s definately a lot to know about this issue. I really like all the points you made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciate all the hard work you put into this great site. Thankyou so much..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...