Wednesday 14 March 2018

Happy Blogday '28mm Victorian Warfare'...

...7 today
Today marks the seventh anniversary of the creation of this humble weblog, something that I still find quite staggering given my complete inability to focus on anything for any given period of time.
Looking back at this time last year I was acknowledging the ever increasing series of avenues that this most wholesome of hobbies was opening up for me.  There seems, however, to have been somewhat of a watershed particularly given the success that was Congo.  Finally sitting down and planning a game, collecting and painting the miniatures and then inviting a couple of would be victims volunteers proved to be such a boon.  I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the adventure and still have a number of posts to make, logging the various components that went into making the day so successful.  It was as if a penny had finally dropped and I started to see the hobby for what it was.  I had always imagined that the collection would eventually lead to the tabletop, but I never envisaged that I would take so long.
What I did find though was that I was enjoying the thinking and planning about games just as much as I was the painting of the miniatures, this was the first time that there has been this discernible shift and it had a direct result on the status of the blog.  I think it would be fair to say that this has been a bit of a perfect storm as the epiphany has coincided with an incredibly busy upturn at work.  As I have mentioned before there is nothing sinister in this, just simply more to do and so less time for hobby related projects meant that some difficult choices had to be made.

So where does that leave this humble weblog and what thoughts are there for the future?  The joy of working towards a definitive outcome is clearly a goal that I would like to repeat and plans are afoot to host a similar day, but this time returning to the Witchfinder project.  Board games have played a huge part in my gaming development and it is unlikely that these will go away.  There is simply too much fun to be had with the likes of Zombicide:Black Plague.  In fact there are a number of avenues about to open up with the imminent arrival of Resident Evil, Smog and Green Horde.

Throw into the mix Imperial Assault and I have more plastic than I will ever paint and yet I have no doubt that something else will catch my eye over the coming months.  That said the continued collection of new titles is starting to trouble me.  As patient as the 'Saintly Mrs. Awdry' is there is a finite amount of space here at 'Awdry Towers' and questions are beginning to be asked!  This grim realisation that I don’t actually have to back everything will hopefully see a down turn on pledges and an increase in gaming.

I expect that there will continue to be the odd playful dalliance here and there, but I hope there will be less justification and a little more honesty in my approach.  “Yes, I am supposed to be painting lions, but that Tiger 101 was just far too tempting!”  So it is that I tentatively remove the dust sheets that have idled here at '28mm Victorian Warfare' for far too long and hope that I can find a way back to more regular posting habits.  Thank you for your patience. 



71 comments:

  1. Good to see you back online! Going to be a busy gaming summer I think 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still owe us a Witchfinder game day! ;)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely and I haven't forgotten - plans are afoot. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Michael. It appears that the tail end of last year and the first quarter of this year has seen a reduction in postings across all the blogs I follow, with Real Life impacting on people's free time to 8ndulge in hobby-related pursuits. Whether it's work-related or finding a new show on Netflux that you just HAVE to watch, it all eats up your time. But it's a banked fire - it may look like nothing's going on, but underneath the ashes, the fire is still smouldering away, ready to be stoked back into life.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez and there has definitely been a fair bit of smouldering so hopeful to have more to show soon.

      Delete
  3. Happy seventh blogday Michael! I look forward to helping you celebrate many more to come :)

    If thinking about and planning the games is as much fun for you as playing them, maybe you should try your hand at preparing some scenarios for publication in one of the mags or in conjunction with the rules authors/publishers? I'm sure you'd have a great talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd second that! Great idea Tamsin.

      And a very happy blogiversary to you sir. May there be many, many more.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Tamsin and now there is an idea.

      Delete
  4. Happy seventh blogday sir! Good to see you on net space back ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to see a post from you and celebrating a blog anniversary is always a good reason to post - congratualtions !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 7th blogday Michael, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! And thanks for all the inspiration. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations reach your 7th year. Keep up the wonderful work you do Eclectic it may sometimes buy but top quality it always is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday !!! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, always a good idea not to incur the wrath of a Mrs Awdry, or Mrs C in my case !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats...and weirdly..I have, buried somewhere in the cellar, (or from the look of them in your pic, faux leather around the optic boxes? ) the exact same Binos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, I'm pretty sure mine are leather, but they are certainly textured.

      Delete
  12. Congrats Michael, what a brilliant post: you have put into words quite the train of thought I myself have had a couple of times as well, well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander, hoping to get a bit more 'me time' soon though.

      Delete
  13. Happy 7th Blogday, Michael! Yes, real life gets in the way too often, but I suppose it makes our moments of actual hobbying all the more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point A.J. nicely said Sir.

      Delete
  14. Welcome back Michael! You've been missed! Glad your enjoying Congo, I certainly am & had to buy my own copy of the rules as well as some more figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you Terry. Definitely looking forward to more Congo adventures.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations and nice to see you back blogging, Sir Awdry. The hobby genuinely isn't the same without you. Hopefully I'll see you at "Salute"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you Simon and I do hope to catch up in a few weeks time.

      Delete
  16. Smashing post Michael, and good to see you back, there has been a general downturn in the number of posts going up around the "blogsphere" at the moment as I think many of us take a long hard look at where we want to go with the hobby rather than just turning out quantities of painted figures. Good to see you setting out toward your chosen isle of decision, while some of us are still thrashing about in the sea of confusion.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger and this is a tentative toe dipping, but hoping to be posting more regularly soon.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on the blogday!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on that mile stone, but do keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, 28mm Victorian Warfare!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Felize Navidad, ähmmm Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations. Your body of modeling-work is to be greatly admired. Always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blogday! It is a pleasure to see you back. :)
    It would be very interesting to see how you paint these Imperial Assault minis BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Nimrod, hoping to have a bash at the Imperial Assault stuff soon.

      Delete
  23. congratulations, always an inspirational joy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, and many happy returns Michael !
    Glad to hear you're planning a return to the Witchfinder project :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, looking forward to seeing if I can the Witchfinder project a new lease of life this summer.

      Delete
  25. Congrats! Always enjoy seeing what you're up to in the hobby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy B-day on the blog Michael, post when you have the time we'll still be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on 7 years!

    It will be great to have you back blogging regularly again, but as long as you are enjoying your hobby, it doesn't matter what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy blogday Michael!
    Another year in which I wish to one day meet you in person - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul and one year it will happen.

      Delete
  29. Congrats and sympathies also, Michael; I, too share your predicament. For me, now, it is small (often solo) games...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monty and that seems the way it is heading, but a game is a game. :)

      Delete
  30. Congrats on your blog Michael, it is amazing where the time goes. I am a few months behind you and started in Dec 2011, it only seems like yesterday when I was trying to work out how to post pictures and now it has become a part of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So good to see a post from you Michael, I have missed seeing your posts and insightful comments on other blogs. Congratulations on the milestone and hope you find your balance and look forward to seeing the projects develop

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please accept my belated congratulations on the anniversary of your fine blog, Michael. Your work is always inspiring and a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad to have you back. Your points about the joy of planning over painting are well made. I’ve removed the whole concept of painting anything other than what currently suits me - no matter how much someone else thinks I should be painting something else.

    I now work on projects for myself. If that happens to coincide with the rest of the world, great. If not, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Woo hoo! Congrats. An impressive milestone sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. 7 years is a milestone for sure - a lucky one?

    Keep up the great hobby work Michael, however that sits with you and works with your time/space constraints.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...