Friday 21 March 2014

My challenge 2014



That's it!  Gentlemen (and of course ladies) put your paintbrushes down and step away from the painting tables!  Spring has sprung, joy and laughter fill the air and the '4th Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge' is finally over, but my what challenge it has been this year.  Before showering myself in self-congratulatory nonsense, I need too say a huge thank to a certain Curtis Campbell Esq.  who is not only the brainchild behind the Challenge, but it is he who also tirelessly administers all the entries, maintains the leader board and generally keeps everything running, seemingly, without a hitch.  This is nothing short of a Herculaneum effort, particularly this year with no less than sixty one brave souls taking to the field of dreams - bravo Sir.


I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this year's challenge, but the addition of the bonus theme rounds were such an inspired inclusion that I have strayed a little from my game plan.  I had always intended returning to more historical fodder for the Challenge, particularly my beloved Victorian era, but somehow there were diversions via Ancient Rome, Celtic Britain and even outer space, but all in the name of fun you understand.


Having had a side challenge with Stefan that we would try and make a contribution to each of these bonus rounds they soon become my main focus, not least because they carried an additional fifty point tariff, and I soon realised that I had underscored my par target for this year.  Urged on by some gentle persuasion from young Campbell this target was soon raised to a thousand points and some serious unit painting had to be undertaken!  Fortunately for me these larger units of Victorian goodness were just what was required to keep me 'in touch' with yet another side challenge this time with Phil and Greg to see who could paint the most Victorian themed entries.


This year, I felt that the standard of entries from the other participants was simply outstanding.  In some cases it was the sheer scale of their output, or the imaginative responses to the theme rounds (let's not forget Spidergate!), but also the quality of what was being produced was often breathtakingly good; I was truly thrilled to be part of something so creative.


So over a thousand points to the good, a top twenty finish (by the skin of my teeth!) and a placing or two in the bonus rounds - I have to confess that I am feeling jolly pleased with myself, but that wasn't the end as I managed to snaffle a couple of bonus prizes as well.  The first, a fabulous miniature painted by the wonderfully talented 'Wargaming Girl', Tamsin.  This lighthearted jibe at the expense of fellow challenger Ray, was a giveaway to celebrate Tamsin's 2nd Blog Birthday and a great addition to my collection.


Finally, I was thrilled to hear that for bagging first spot in the 'Casualty' bonus round, I was to receive a £15 book token to spend in the virtual halls of Edwin's Diplomatist Book Shop. Well it didn't take long to spy a couple of titles that I fancied and in no time at all they were dispatched to 'Awdry Towers', but there was one final surprise... 


After all everything is better with dinosaurs!  


Well done to all that took part, what a wonderful way to spend the winter!



61 comments:

  1. Fantastic painting work, sir. You are a great artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredibly kind of you, thank you Juan.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, it's been a pleasure watching your entries accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you do this? So inspired, detailed, and beautiful...love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid work sir. And well deserved on the bonus rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expected nothing less than a top 20 placing Sir.

    Darned well done.

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I only managed 23rd last year! Thank you nonetheless for your unflinching support.

      Delete
  6. A rather fine collection you have amassed over the challenge there Michael. Awdry towers will need a new display cabinet!

    It's been a joy as ever to see what comes off your paint table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now the talk of display cabinet is a touchy subject here, the Saintly Mrs. Awdry preferring to see the fruits of my labours boxed up in the spare room!

      Delete
  7. Beautifull work Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were some glorious entries, well done Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your star shone brightly once again this year Sir Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words Anne, but my light was, but part of much greater beacon of creativeness that I was proud to be part of.

      Delete
  10. Excellent painting skills, the consistantly high quality over the various rounds is awe-inspiring. Top notch sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bob, but the standard all round this year was inspirational enough to keep me looking to raise my own game.

      Delete
  11. Among the great Challengers this year, you were one of the stand out competitors Michael. The gob smacking awesomeness of your entries, particularly your Bonus Round submissions, and your genuine and sincere encouragement to others around the blogosphere was most impressive. It was a delight to participate with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now steady on there my good chap, that is high praise indeed. Paul, thank you so much for the kind words, but what a great challenge it has been for all involved.

      Delete
  12. Inspired work throughout! If I was a lead figure, I'd join your Celts or gypsies, just to be near those lovely ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a marvellous body of work of a consistently superb standard. I am hugely impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly shone this year Michael, with some inspired entries (although I shudder to think of what might have inspired some of them *shiver*).

    Congrats on all your bonus round placings and on your final position and points haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tamsin, it has been a great joy to be part of the challenge this year, but already I'm starting to think of ideas for next year!

      Delete
  15. Hats off to you Mr. Awdry as you submitted some really inspiring entrys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done mate, some absolutely brilliant stuff as always. I can't help but think the bonus rounds are particularly suited to your own special talents and it's no surprise you performed so well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bonus rounds were definitely right up my street, but the whole event was great fun.

      Delete
  17. You definitely produced some 1st class models this year Sir M. Well done ol' chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, I was delighted with what I managed to get done this year.

      Delete
  18. Well done Mr Awdry, lovely stuff all round and a pleasure to enter into a side wager with you. Apologies I couldn't push you harder to the wire on it.

    No mention of gypsygate though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil and I think we all enjoyed getting distracted by different themes at the detriment of our side wager. Ah the gypsies, those lovely Victorian ladies...

      Delete
  19. Nice work and what a great variety of periods covered :) Well done Michael you have made some fantastic looking diorama's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, it was certainly a blast being involved.

      Delete
  20. Throughly enjoyed your entries all around and having you along as a fellow challenger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I can only return the compliment yo your good self.

      Delete
  21. I do love those Celts. Outstanding all round I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day we will get them in a game of Dark Crucible.

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A cornucopia of miniature awesomeness. You have outdone yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michael
    You consistently had the best and the most brilliant contributions to the challenge. Well done sir and thanks for the inspiration along the way.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really loved your entries this year Michael, well done mate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. An impressive display of lovely painted figures! Well done!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was fabulous to have you along with us again Michael. I'm delighted that the Challenge piqued your interest and allowed us to enjoy your amazing creations. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on a great challenge. Your entries were a real delight to see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...