Monday 17 August 2015

Street Furniture




With the release of the public examination results last week my attention, quite rightly, has been drawn towards work, but in a brief moment of calm, I thought I would just post the following by way of documenting my progress.  The Batman Miniatures Game, by 'Knight Models' requires certain elements of street furniture to be included in the set up of the table, namely lamp posts and sewer covers. These play an integral part in the game as, set in the dead of night, the illumination from the posts aids shooting, whilst the sewers add the possibility of characters traversing the board through the subterranean tunnels.   


'Knight Models', of course, do their own lamp posts and drain covers pack, but having seen many splendid examples of home grown variants, I was keen to have a go myself.  As usual though this led to considerably more bits and pieces been added along the way.  PulpCitizen of 'Eclectic Gentleman Tabletop Gamer' fame led me to the Tamiya 1/48 scale roadside set, which has four plastic lamp posts as well as a plethora of other bits and pieces that I am sure I will find a use for at some point.  Given their lightweight construction they sit comfortably atop some 'Fenris Games' resin bases without fear of toppling over.


The lamp posts were simply sprayed black and then given a quick dry brush of Vallejo Game Colour Tinny Tin, one even had a little added extra on the base!  Also from 'Fenris Games' were some of their resin wide mouthed jars, with added tufts to look like weeds and some dustbins.


You potentially need six lamp posts, depending on the outcome of a dice roll and so I added a couple of traffic lights to make up the numbers.  These were part of my 'Mars Attacks' Kickstarter although I abandoned their original bases in favour for more from 'Fenris Games'.  As I was putting together the traffic lights, I stumbled across these rather lovely fire hydrants from the same pack and decide that they were too good not to be included. 


Added to the mix were some rather fiddly traffic cones from the recent 'Studio Miniatures' Kickstarter and a much more substantial tyre wall from 'Ainsty Castings'.


Finally the sewer markers, these were from the 'Wryd Games' Malifaux range and designed as bases for their various miniatures.  Wonderful designs and a good weight they were great fun to paint up with lashings of toxic goo and rust effect.  As with the lamp posts there is the potential that I need six of these so I do need to find an additional marker at some point. 


Finally a group shot of all the bits and pieces assembled just in the ink of time for the game, at least now I have them for our next encounter.



67 comments:

  1. All looking excellent as ever. I particularly like the idea of using the Malifaux bases as sewers. Wish I'd thought of that. :)

    The traffic lights are another inspired idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kieron, all results of spending hours trailing the interweb for ideas, normally other peoples!

      Delete
  2. Nice accessories! Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look brilliant. They'll really bring the tabletop to life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit they did rather consume me in the run up to the game.

      Delete
  4. Pretty great, these little bits are what make a tabletop really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AndrĂ¡s, really pleased with them.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful adding, very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and useful additions to your gaming table. Painted lamp posts are especially good looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nimrod, I was very pleased with those myself.

      Delete
  7. I love building terrain and creating "a world." You're doing some fantastic work here Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent collection of bits and pieces for your layout, also very pleased too that they form an integral part of the game and are not just eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, yes the Penguin disappeared into the sewers in the second game in a bid to resurface and steal the loot, but the SWAT team blocked his exit!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful terrain - amazing transformation from the primed pieces to finished product. Lovely work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greta stuff Sir Michael. Some real eye candy there to distract your opponents from the game ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take any advantage I can get and thank you Simon.

      Delete
  11. I hope the examination went well?

    But besides that a wonderful set of furniture. It will make your table vivid I presume. Actually most table are missing those tiny details. Good work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefan, it has been a busy couple of days, but all is falling into place.

      Delete
  12. All these sort of things really add to the tabletop. And you do them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, but they do put the unpainted buildings to shame.

      Delete
  13. These are all so beautifully painted Michael and are stand out pieces in their own right. Put all together in that first picture, the effect is gorgeous.

    That is going to be one nice gaming table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I must admit I did get a little carried away, but had so much fun doing it.

      Delete
  14. A nice collection that makes for great set dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Street furniture is always useful to have.

    I love that cat skulking by the lamppost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, inspired from another blogger, sadly I didn't make a note of who. :(

      Delete
  16. They all look fab! It's all these details which really bring a table to life...can't wait to see them in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have already had one run out, need to get the boys back for a rematch at some point though.

      Delete
  17. They really adds flawour to the gaming table ! Exellent work !

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of it looks amazing, really enhanced the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, I had so much fun setting it all up.

      Delete
  19. Excellent stuff all around; some great choices there and the traffic lights make a great pair of alt-Lamp-posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I couldn't justify a second box of Tamiya pieces so was thrilled when I stumbled upon these.

      Delete
  20. Great set of pieces - they have a lot of character for sprucing up the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Cocktail, they were certainly great fun to amass.

      Delete
  21. Nicely done Michael, its all those odds'n'sod's that make the table superb! I'm always keeping my eyes open at Walmart & the dollar stores for traffic related fluff from the various Hot Wheels & other cheapo car sets that occasionally show up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, I have noticed myself doing something similar when dragged out shopping, constantly scrutinising things to see if they game be used for any of my projects.

      Delete
  22. I'm sure Batman will have a twinge of regret while knocking out those lovely street lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think wouldn't you, but no the brute just kept on vandalising the street furniture as he went about his patrol.

      Delete
  23. Amazing stuff especially the wide mouth jars. The large duck still does it for me - quackers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan, I could spend a small fortune at Fenris Games.

      Delete
  24. Will you please stop doing this, Mr Awdry! I'm trying to remain focused on Oriental Fantasy month on my blog, and your posts have got me itching to return to supers. Only kidding - excellent work as always. Posts like this inspire us lesser mortals to do better. Regards Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, I went hunting for your blog, but only managed to stumble across one that you were working on back in 2014 - do you have another stashed away somewhere? I'd love to see what you were up yo.

      Delete
  25. Fantastic, beautiful and realistic accessories...

    ReplyDelete
  26. An excellent looking set to furnish your table! 1/48 plastic models can really be an excellent source for terrain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hadn't really thought about that scale before but they seem to work rather well.

      Delete
  27. Great work on these accessories Michael! Just what is required for a good looking battlefield set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rodger, it was great fun to set up but when it came to packing away I realised I hadn't given storage much thought!

      Delete
  28. They look great. I must note that set down and pick it up myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box has lots of interesting bits and pieces in it that I'm sure you'd find a use for Simon.

      Delete
  29. Great work all around Michael. If your work doesn't inspire me to eventually paint terrain or even bases, nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I have no doubt when you do they will be excellent - your blending work at the moment is awesome!

      Delete
  30. Very nicely done Sir Michael! These are the details which finish a board off, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob, really should have been reading the rules, but I have always found it difficult to resist a traffic cone! ;)

      Delete
  31. Wonderful! I especially like the plants and the little cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind Sir, I think they helped bring it all the life.

      Delete
  32. Excellent collection. Most of it usable for so many diffenrent games

    ReplyDelete
  33. They look great! I find extras like these really add to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well done Mr. Awdry! These will come in handy I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great collection of scatter terrain! Would you mind sharing your recipe for painting toxic goo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as for the toxic goo if memory serves me right it was simply Vallejo Game Colour Livery Green, with a was of strong tone or the like and then the bubbles picked out again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...