Tuesday 2 June 2020

Rubicon Models SdKfz 7 8ton Half-track

June already and the prospect of further restrictions being lifted in the near future gives me some hope that the various elements of the Schloss Itter project will finally be reunited.  Both James and I are keen for this to happen, not least so we can see what finishing touches need to made in order to bring it to some form of resolution.  There is no doubt that working from home for the last two months, allowing myself an hour or so a day hobby time, has seen most things on my 'to do' list ticked off, one of those being this rather splendid 'Rubicon Models' Half-track.
James very kindly put this kit together when I was elbow deep in builders' caulk and Sculptamold and then it sat idly for an age waiting for me to paint it.  In my defence the Half-track was only ever going to be for table dressing, an element to hint at how the mighty '88 had managed to be deployed before shelling the castle.  That said it is another fine model with a good number of options and so warranted some love and attention.
Given that it was supposed to have towed the '88 into position, I approached the painting in the same way starting with some bold strokes of colour with the trusty airbrush.  These were then refined with the brush before going to town with the weathering and chipping.  This final stage is still approached with some trepidation as the idea of 'distressing' a perfectly serviceable paint job seems a little counterintuitive, but I feel as if I am becoming more familiar with the techniques and so a little more confident with managing my expectations.
With the painting finished it still felt a little incomplete, possibly as I have chosen not to base this model and so it is without the customary flock and tufts that have adorned the previous models.  Fortunately I had picked up a stowage set from the same company with a view of making some loot markers for the game and a quick review of the sprue threw up a couple of possibilities in the shape of a tool chest and rolled up flag.  
Once again I need to credit he very talented Nick of 'Moiterei's Bunte Welt' fame for the idea of the flag, something I had seen on his amazing blog and was keen to try for myself; the splash of vibrant red really helping to lift the piece.  The final detail was some of my home made camouflage net, stowed in the rear cradle, ready to deploy.  Having been a model that I was struggling to get started on, the half-track has now become one of my favourite pieces and I am thrilled to see it next to the '88, just want to see it on the table now!   

Click button for related posts

42 comments:

  1. beautiful paint job Michael it reminds me why my Germans are mainly early War.....they can all be grey. Camo is so hard to get right....anyway you can do it 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Matt, I was all up for leaving them grey too if the truth be told! 🤣

      Delete
  2. Fantastic looking piece of dressage Michael, it's the little touches like this littering the board that should truly make this a board to behold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, can't wait to see everything in place.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a properly nice kit. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was glad not to have o put this one together as it looked a bit fiddly, but it was great fun to paint in the end.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful looking tractor Michael! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masterfully done! Amazing weathering and an excellent camo colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Nimrod, the weathering has taken a while to achieve what I was aiming for, but I am becoming more confident with it now.

      Delete
  6. An elegant little piece, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A.J. I wondered about basing it and may do in the future, but given that it is just going to be sitting in the landscape have left it as it is for the time being.

      Delete
  7. Superb work on the 8Ton Semi-track. Those things were monsters. One of my favorite Tamiya kits was the 8 Ton with the quad on the rear! I also see you've gotten yourself some cheescloth for camo netting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, when deciding about painting options I Googled the beast and there was some amazing footage of one being used to give rides on. It was much bigger than I had thought. The camouflage netting was out of date bandage stock from the school nurse. Who knew bandages went out of date? 🤣

      Delete
  8. Stunning, as usual. It seems like an age since I last saw this. It was fun to put together, and fortunately no-one has spotted the fact that I lost the second row rifle rack. It still hasn't reappeared since leaping from my modelling desk.
    I think the most impressive aspect of the paint job is that you've managed to hide all trace of my 'pre-weathering' in the form of the rather obvious gluey thumbprint which I had clumsily splodged onto its rear quarter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had completely forgotten about the second gun rack! 🤣 As for the thumb marks, I just assumed they were rust. 😉 Very grateful not to have put this one together as there looked like an awful lot of fiddly parts.

      Delete
  9. That's a gorgeous bit if kit Sir M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, Rubicon seem to have found the halfway ground between wargaming models and collectors' kits. Mind you there is the need to be patient when assembling them.

      Delete
  10. Wow I don't know about a bit of "set dressing" this looks like the a "star piece" to me! Crazy good mate!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, it is funny how sometimes the pieces you show least interest in turn out to be the ones you cherish most. I was certainly thrilled with how this one came out.

      Delete
  11. Very good use of the camo, worn and distressed looking t certainly is. The little f=details are superbly done on an excellent model.
    I did think at first is was a Tamiya 1/35 th model so good was the first pic !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, I think the photographs flatter the actual painting, but still thrilled you like it.

      Delete
  12. That camo is excellent Michael. You've really gotten your techniques down for getting very good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I think we have to give you the credit for steering me towards camouflage don't we. I don't know whether to thank or curse you?🤣

      Delete
  13. Fab work on the half-track Michael. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid looking half track, lovely camo!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Iain, lovely kit to work on.

      Delete
  15. Superb model ! you have done an excellent painting work on it and all that stuff in the back of the half-track is a very nice addition !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome looking half track, Michael. The camo, weathering and stowage are all excellently done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dean, it was a lovely kit to work on.

      Delete
  17. Excellent work Michael. I have a 1/35 scale Sd.Kfz.9 18-ton FAMO that I am suppose to work on. Your work is certainly inspiring even though it's a smaller scale. Those colorful accessories at the back make the overall color scheme much more interesting than it originally was, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's an amazing model and your work on it only makes even better. I love how you added all these touches of colour to make the model look more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...