Thursday 20 October 2016

Book Review#22. - Phil Watts, Zombie Killer


A very brief post today just to log the most recent addition to the ‘Awdry Towers’ library of frivolous and ridiculous literature.  David Allen's 'Phil Watts, Zombie Killer' is an appropriate title given that we are in 'Zomtober', but this is really only to be read by those with an unhealthy interest in all things undead.  

Quoting from the official blurb:

Imagine one day you are a paramedic trying to bring people back from the dead, and the next day they are coming back from the dead by themselves, then trying to bite you. This is what has happened to Phil Watts. Now he is holed up in a looted superstore, besieged by thousands of zombies. Knowing he is probably going to die Phil writes his Last Will and Testament although the only possessions he has are the clothes he is wearing, a Glock pistol with two rounds of ammunition and two blow up sex dolls he has promised to rescue.

This is a mercifully short edition, but it does have some genuinely funny moments particularly if, like me, you have any prior knowledge of Plymouth.*  The unusual premise of contacting the emergency services, in Phil Watt’s case the Ambulance Service, to dispatch any shambling, undead menace in your neighbourhood is novel, but the situation gets decidedly more complicated for our hero as events unfold in an often brutal and bloody manner.  Silly, cheap and quick to read.
*I spent a thoroughly enjoyable year there in my dim and distant past.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Michael...I think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gobbo will like this bit of madness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa Martin just downloaded it, bit of a coincidence after my recent ATZ action.... :-)

      Delete
    2. Fun book, took me all of an hour to read but fun none the less

      Delete
    3. It was reading your report that reminded me that I needed to do a review. Silly and short and definitely not taking itself too seriously, the book I mean, not you! ;)

      Delete
  3. Zombies are good and they get ever closer to being reborn in the dungeon ! I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice with zombies also quite fun.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must try that myself and then of course there is the film too.

      Delete
  4. Just downloaded it, gonna be my nighttime reading tonight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I think you might like this one Fran and cheap too.

      Delete
  6. Was going to say this has Andy written all over it, but he beat me to it.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has read it now as well I see! Far too quick that man.

      Delete
  7. For 99p, it's got to be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly worse things that you could spend 99p on Joe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...