… and new targets for 2014
One had hoped to have this post ready for the start of the year, but a combination of procrastination on my behalf and the continuation of the holiday period has conspired against me. Finally then, if I may beg your indulgence, I shall briefly review the self-imposed targets for the year.
1. Play some games! Success! Finally, and in no small measure due to the kindness and generosity of the 'The Dark Templar', this has finally been achieved. X-Wing Miniatures was a revelation and has subsequently gone on to prove an expensive distraction. Perhaps more legitimately was 'The Dark Crucible' Mike's own 'coffee table' game that allows players to enjoy skirmish level forays into a mystical yet historic setting. I really enjoyed this and have set about creating my own war band that I hope to have finished as part of the '4th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge'. Other gaming introductions have included 'Blood Bowl', which may see me go off on yet another tangent and more recently 'Zombicide', fabulous fun that I have even managed to persuade the 'Saintly Mrs. Awdry' to partake in.
2. Maintain a credible level of posts throughout the course of the year. Success! 102 posts for the year, down slightly on 2012, but well within the parameters of between five to ten posts per month.
3. Attend at least one convention/exhibition/expo this year. Success! The 'Provost Marshal' and I managed 'Euro Militaire' in September and 'Salute 2013' in April. Salute, of course comes with the additional benefit of meeting up with like minded souls and once again it was lovely to be able to say hello to so many fellow Bloggers.
4. Investigate the possibility of a dedicated hobby space, here at 'Awdry Towers'. Success, albeit tentatively claimed! We have had a minor reorganisation that has seen the boxes of hobby related paraphernalia removed from the dining room floor and given their own shelf space. With the addition of a 'portable gaming board' we are edging closer to where I would like to be, but little chance of my very own 'Man Cave', I'm afraid!
5. Setting up the 'Command Stand', a bespoke painting service, initially conceived by my good friend the 'Provost Marshal'. Partly resolved in that we did produce two 'Command Stands' one for the 'Provost Marshal', the other for 'Dave D'. Both hugely enjoyable to do and so a step in the right direction, but perhaps so more formalisation of the idea required this year.
6. 'Operation Otter'. Fail! This was to have been an off-shoot of the 'secret project' - but has not got off the ground in any shape whatsoever! It is possible that it might yet make an appearance, but unlikely given the multitude of other projects jostling for attention - a real slow burner.
On reflection a positive year, but what about targets for 2014? As last year, I hope to reach my par score (600 points) in the challenge, and once again this will involve me been relatively focussed until March! After that I have decided to have very few actual prescriptive targets; I suspect that I will try to maintain the same first three as last year, but no longer feel the need to write these down; they are, or should be, a given. What I would like to do is to try to curb the addition expenditure on miniatures this year, or at least try to bring it into line with output. I have a good many fabulous miniatures that are lying unattended and forlorn in the lead pile and with the addition of the 'Mars Attacks' Kickstarter, due in August there will be a positive deluge of plastic come the summer. A simple tally score will suffice, no different to that found on a good many of the blogs I follow, but hopefully something that will 'shame' me into being a little more restraint when it comes to all things hobby related.
Finally then a huge Thank You to all that continue to support, particularly those kind hearted souls that leave a comment on two - your enthusiasm and encouragement are invaluable and your reward will be an unashamed reposting of some of my personal highlights from 2013, after all every post needs a picture!