Saturday 27 July 2024

Crocs and Hippos


 With my mind set on having a waterborne adventure for our game, I turned to the scenarios included in the Congo rule book for inspiration.  Luckily for me there were a number of possibilities that would work, especially if I combined a couple of the scenarios together.  Ultimately this was going to be a chase across the board hampered by pursuing tribesmen and, of course, crocodiles!  I had a number of these ruthless reptiles that needed to be painted, but what I was really after were some waterline variants to patrol the swamps.  So it was that I found myself wrapping 'Wargames Foundry' crocodiles in something called mini-mold from 'TT-Combat'.

This was always going to have a limited success, especially given the low relief of the details on my small crocodiles, but I just need to sell the illusion of this toothsome predator lurking just below the surface of the brackish water.  So once the impression was made, I packed it full of green stuff and et voilà, swimming crocodiles!  

After a little bit of trimming they were affixed to small pill like bases and then painted to match the others in the collection.  I also experimented with some water texture around the edges, but I am not entirely sure this has worked as well as I had hoped and might have proven more effective if I just painted the edges to represent water, which is exactly what I did with the hippos!


"What talk of river horse?" I hear you cry.  Well good reader it would appear that my shame of unpainted soldery has now exploded into the digiverse with the unfathomable need to purchase STL files for 3D printing.  Nothing new in this, but I don't even own a digital printer and yet I have amassed a vast assortment of files that would potentially see me print models from dinosaurs to Dooku all at the click of a button.    'The Dark Templar', a chap that has thoroughly embraced this hobby departure very kindly offered to print some hippopotami as a contribution to the game and so when the beasts arrived in the post, ahead of the big day, I was absolutely thrilled.  I am afraid, I can't tell you what resin was used or even the width of the layers, but I was instantly aware of just how light they were compared to the weight of a metal piece.  The fun, dynamic poses were just what I wanted and immediately set about them with some grey undercoat.  In fact the undercoat was so effective that I only had to pick out a few details and dry brush some scarring to their backs and they were done!  So with characters and menagerie finished, I just had one more piece to add - the swamp! 


18 comments:

  1. Excellent work on both the crocs and hippos Michael, and welcome to the world of instant mould, one trick when it's warm is to keep pressing from different angles to get better detail (helps if you have no feeling in your hand though ! LOL) or if you have lego make a box around the piece you want to mould and then a plunger to fit the box this helps push the mould into all the crevices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave and great tips that I shall bear in mind next time.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Michael, cleverly done, i might look into getting some of that mold stuff ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. It is relatively straightforward to use, just soften in hot water.

      Delete
  3. There was some company that did waterline hippos and crocs at some point. Might have even been Foundry. I have some of the figures from when I was playing stuff like Adventures in Jimland (miniatures rules).

    Your solution works, though. And your hippo painting is spot on. The colors look just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foundry definitely do both a waterline hippo and crocodile and they are on my wish list as lovely sculpts. I needed a number of them for the scenario and just couldn't justify the expense at the time.

      Delete
  4. Great looking crocs and hippos, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the hippos were more for show, but the crocs are integral to the scenario.

      Delete
  5. Wow they are so amazing and immerse looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - yes, great job on those croc heads. They came out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, they are not the cleanest 'sculpts' but they certainly do what I need them to do.

      Delete
  7. Splendid hippos and crocodiles,lovely as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvellous stuff, Michael. I think the Hippo bases have indeed turned out a little better than the croc ones. I also love those Hippo 3D prints. Awesome sculpts - and so pleased to see you getting bitten by the 3D printing bug. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...