My goodness, where has the time gone? It would seem that I cannot move in the Sunshine Coast's might metropolis without seeing banners declaring, 'Back to School'! Still there is more fun to be had before I start sharpening my pencils and polishing my apples and Sunday will see the Batman arrive at 'Awdry Towers'; the Penguin is going to get his first outing against Mike 'The Dark Templar' Reynolds ' Caped Crusader. As a result this week has been all about terrain as I have rushed around cobbling together as much as I could. This has meant that I have finally managed to assembly most of the bits and pieces that I picked up at 'Salute 2015', but Gotham City is going to have a distinctly wooden feel to it as I've not managed to paint any of it!
I continue to be amazed at just how much can now be done with MDF and although not to everyone's tastes I thoroughly enjoy putting together these kits. The 'Sarissa Precision' kits that I've been working on have been an absolutely joy to put together, but not to be attempted at breakneck speeds; below is an example of what a lack of due care and fat fingers can result in.
By contrast some of the 'Knight Models' MDF kits proved to be really hard work to put together. The assembly is straight forward but the laser cutting is often not deep enough, resulting in damaged pieces and the need for a scalpel to prise many of the pieces off the sprue. Enough was salvaged to amass a decent amount of scatter terrain and Gotham is starting to take shape.
It has not all been about MDF and I have a mass of plastic, resin and metal pieces to get done before tomorrow's game. These have been purloined from all manner of recent Kickstarters including Mars Attacks and Studio Miniatures, with Tamiya lamp posts and Malifaux sewer bases adding to the mix.
Although not necessarily needed for tomorrow's game, I have also put together some wound markers. I first saw these on Curt's wonderful 'Analogue Hobbies' blog. Mine came about whilst I was looking for some counters and I picked up these clear plastic 20mm disks from 'Grekwood Miniatures'. A few drops of Tamiya clear red and they were done.
Finally, I have also found a use for all those fiddly pieces of waste MDF that are left over having assembled the kits - perfect for filling up my skips! That's it for today, but I hope to have some sort of report after the weekend.
Don't forget to visit the rest of the 'Paint Table Saturday' community here.