Tuesday 20 August 2024

I have an elephant fetish!


Now there is a title to solicit all manner of casual browser!  By way of explanation, the planned scenario for the Congo game was based on a couple of adventures sandwiched together from the rule book.  The premise is that a mysterious artifact has to be located and taken somewhere else.  I already had my ape totems, but needed a total of six items and so set about creating some new fetishes.  Having had success with the playmobil monkeys, I had hoped that they may yield a suitable alternative but nothing seemed to fit the bill and so an extensive trawl of the infoweb followed.  With some considerable luck, I stumbled across these cheap metal pendants from a buyer on Etsy and simply trimmed of the hoop at the top and stuck them to some chunks of foam.  

These were, in turn, fixed to some MDF bases that were textured with pumice paste and small stones.  Once everything was dry some fine gauge chain was wrapped around both and made to look as if the chains had cut and eroded into the stone over time.  A few touches of superglue were required to keep everything in place and stop the chains slipping. 


The build was effectively done at this stage, but I have seen African Fetish sculptures and had a lasting memory of the nails, driven into them; dark, truly terrifying items.  So I did what any rational minded hobbyist would do and unearthed a bag of plastic skulls and cut lengths of floristry wire into tiddly, tiny pieces - the descent into madness was complete. 


I made painting far too difficult for myself as I was worried that my trusty rattle can primer would melt the foam.  Instead, I chose to paint the rocks separately and then applied a coat of matt varnish to the metal pendant before  giving it a series of heavy washes.  I allowed the rust to colour the rock and everything was flocked to show that these were very much part of the jungle.

On to the game!

My previous monkey totems can be seen here.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful and carefully thought out work Michael 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking totems Michael, could easily see these in a Indiana Jones movie. Wise call on not spraying the polystyrene, wouldn't want to waste all the hard work you had put in ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave and funnily enough Dr. Jones plays an important part of the game.

      Delete
  3. Nice, very,very nice. I do love playing Congo. Sim9n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, certainly one of my favourite rulesets.

      Delete
  4. This very worrying Sir M. Skulls pins and chains???? You'll be buying a motorbike next??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This had me chuckling Ray, thank you. Not sure I was ever brave enough for a motorcycle let alone now!

      Delete
  5. Very nice Michael they are wonderful.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tremendous idea, execution and paint-jobs, Michael. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More excellent terrain creation Michael, you really are a bit of a Wiz at this kind of thing! Can't wait to see all these bits n bobs in action in your forthcoming game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid bit of fetish work, a lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kool. looking forward to seeing them in the swamp soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those really do look excellent mate, great bit of trinketry spotting!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...