Wednesday 18 September 2019

28mm Waffen SS - test sprue


I have taken a liking to the 'Warlord Games' plastic miniatures as a quick, and relatively cheap way to build up the units required.  So to represent members of the SS 17th Panzer Grenadier Div. that attacked the Castle on that fateful day in 1945, I have gone for the late war Waffen-SS Grenadier miniatures.  By way of a test, I assembled a couple of frames and found myself spoilt for choice with a myriad of options.  In the end I decided to keep things relatively simple for this first run out and based them on 20mm MDF discs from 'Warbases'
The quality of the sculpts is just amazing, so many fine details and expressive faces, but when it came to painting, I was a little apprehensive.  This is area that I have very little knowledge of, and although I have tried camouflage patterns before there seemed so many to choose from!  Armed with a clutch of new Osprey titles and some rather good painting guides, I started to make some decisions as to which uniforms these chaps would have.
My rather rudimentary research suggested that the Oak Leaf pattern was the way to go and given that the battle took place in May, I would focus primarily on painting the spring side of the reversible smock.  That said, I understand that veterans would often mix and match items of uniform so there was a fair bit of leeway.
Once primed, I gathered together the requisite colours and set about try to replicate the camouflage pattern.  Given the scale of the miniatures, I wasn't unduly worried about the finer details, just happy to 'sell' the illusion.  The initial green chosen seemed a little bright to begin with, but a heavy wash did the trick and by the end I was achieving a pleasing result.
As these were, in effect, test pieces I was happy to try out a few different ideas and evening had a stab at the autumn pattern on one of the helmet covers.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to do include the runic insignia SS, but the miniatures come with some waterslide transfers.  These are insanely small and their application was accompanied by a fair amount of colourful language, but the result is rather effective.
Four done another twenty one to go!  Hopefully the next batch will be a little quicker now that I have an idea of the colours to use.


 Click button for all related posts

54 comments:

  1. Excellent painting, as always I must add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking camo, but warlord plastics as a fast way of producing WW2 figures? Not so sure about that! Lovely figures as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I seem to take an age preparing metal miniatures and I quite enjoyed sticking the pieces together.

      Delete
  3. Excellent result on your test pieces Michael, really like all the character you've added with the different pieces on the frame, keep this pace up you should finish on time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, lots of choice and opportunities for conversion. Onwards and upwards.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work, Michael. Camo looks perfect. Coincidentally, I just ordered the El Alamein set from Warlord - couldn't pass up the summer sale bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, the half price sprue sale makes them really good value.

      Delete
  5. Stunning stuff, Michael. Love the camo. Always steered clear of the plastic WW2 preferring metal instead. but you could easily change my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Metal will always be my preference, but these so how feel less precious so I won't be worrying about them being mishandled during the game. ;)

      Delete
  6. The job done thus far is brilliant! As you complete the plastic, you might want to think about adding a mortar or MMG for support. There's also the addition of a 75 mm AT gun with Waffen SS uniformed types. I am really looking forward to seeing your full platoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely want to include some support weapons at some point. Coincidently an 88 from Rubicon - so excited.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on these, they really look like veterans. Those rune transfers really sell the figures as SS though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, really pleased with how they turned out. When I sprayed them with matt varnish the transfers seemed to jump out even more.

      Delete
  8. Nice work on these test figures Michael. I'll be doing some myself eventually, as opposition for my Paras :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, they really are good fun to do.

      Delete
  9. Excellent work Michael! By 1945 the German troops were wearing a real hodge-podge of uniforms, as units were cobbled together. It certainly allows for a myriad of camo painting options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, good to hear that I am on the right tracks. I might have to try more of the autumn pattern on the next bunch.

      Delete
  10. Oooooo they do look rather tasty Sir M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, just need to crack on and get the others prepped.

      Delete
  11. Very nicely done Michael. Not so sure they kept the SS symbols on their helmets by '45, but I don't think it matters all as they look better for it.

    Pea Dot was fun to paint when I last gave it a go. Admittedly, I only had to apply it on 7 members of a squad, so it wasn't a huge chore! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I shall hold off with the SS symbols on the helmets, most are covered anyway. Would they have any insignia on the helmets in the latter stages?

      Delete
    2. In 1943 High Command or some such sent an order to the factories to stop applying symbols/decals on the helmets, probably due to cost, etc - but units in the field were not ordered to remove them so there are examples of helmets that were worn, though they were not the majority.

      So from this, I'd say, two or three blokes with no helmet covers could get away with it, especially in 1945 where a vet or three might be there to help the newbies, but doubtful for more than that.

      Delete
    3. Well I never, fascinating stuff and thank you. I had no idea.

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't worry unduly about the camo (or a mix of it) as anything went at the stage of the war you're portraying and the figures look great. The ss runes drtainly define them for what they are !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, the idea of mixed equipment is certainly what I have come to believe, but it is good to have it confirmed, thank you.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Ivor, let's hope the rest come out as well as these.

      Delete
  14. Fantastic work on the camo......I have a couple of units of early SS to paint but just keep putting them off. Nice work 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, these were the troops I was least confident about, so I am pleased to get a few under my belt already.

      Delete
  15. You have cracked the camo Michael and I salute you for attempting those waterslide transfers, they are so small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pat, that means a lot coming from your good self. Those transfers were an experience, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be ables to achieve the same effect with a brush, so happy to persevere.

      Delete
  16. Excellent work there on the camo Micheal!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blimey, these are good, Michael! Such a shame I have no opportunity to paint now...sob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monty and sorry to hear that you are not painting, maybe one day soon?

      Delete
  18. They look the bees knees Michael! The camo is spot on and as others have stated already you almost can‘t go wrong with SS camo in '45. What was available was worn. So go wild I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nick. I have spent quite a while looking at your amazing work in preparation for this project.

      Delete
  19. Great camo work Michael. The rest of the soldiers look awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're brilliantly well painted, but appear to be very stocky. With big heads and short legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know what you mean and part of the problem might be the pose, they are stooped over.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...