Monday 16 July 2018

Torturer

Following on from the previous post, I decided that I needed some evil lackey that could inhabit the dungeon, meeting out all manner of cruel and unspeakable acts on the poor unfortunates that crossed his threshold.  I knew that I had a ‘Hasslefree Miniatures’, Narg the torturer but on closer inspection he reminded me of a cross between Big Daddy* and Thelonious, Lord Farquaad's right-hand man from Shrek.
*Those of us in the UK that remember World of Sport’s Saturday afternoon wrestling, will appreciate the reference.
Narg is a lovely miniature, but it didn’t feel quite right with the other pieces that I was working on.  Instead I went for one of the Executioners set from ‘Fenryll Miniatures’ supplied through 'Figures4Sale', an Ebay seller.  This is not a make that I was familiar with and hadn’t realised that they were actually resin until they dropped on the doormat, here at Awdry Towers.  I chose the smaller of the two, not least because the larger version was a multi part kit and I just didn’t have the heart to tackle it at the moment.
There were some tiny imperfections that I didn’t notice until I started to apply paint, but on the whole this is a lovely sculpt, with just the right balance of malice and comedy to work on the tabletop. Having decided on my choice of torturer, I looked around at all the other bits and pieces that had been salvaged, but not used at this juncture, and cobbled together a little vignette. Contributors include an executioner’s block from ‘Black Tree Deigns’, rats from ‘Warbases’ and a brazier from ‘Midlem Miniatures’.
Although there are no immediate plans to start work on a dungeon I thought, collectively, that these pieces could serve as a grim reminder of the probable outcome of any transgressor!

49 comments:

  1. I know it's not your main piece but the fire in the brazier looks very convincing.
    You know that you're going to have to build a dungeon to house all these bits and bobs don't you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the brazier took a lot of coloured washes on top of some fairly obvious base colours, but I was really pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. Great looking torturer Michael, and the little vignette adds loads of character for the scene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave, a spot of self indulgence, but great fun.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, enjoying this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, a couple more offerings to go before the end of the month, hopefully.

      Delete
  4. What a charming man ... who does not deserve to be known...excellent (and reaistic!) job...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Looks like he enjoys his work too much! Excellent work Micheal!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly appears to have a talent for pain!

      Delete
  6. A self portrait?
    Nom Okay I believe you.

    Terrific painting and I am enjoying the whole project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, I think! ;) If it were a self portrait, I would need to add a little more green stuff to his tummy. :D

      Delete
  7. He looks like he means business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a chap that likes to take his work seriously.

      Delete
  8. He looks sufficiently menacing perfectly fitting for his role. :)
    Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking additional pieces for the dungeon, Michael. Narg looks menacing because he seems so focused and dedicated to his work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An archetypical torturer, if ever there was one; suerb piece and complete with his tools of the trade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joe, he certainly seemed to fit the bill.

      Delete
  11. Nice work Fits the role perfectly. I like all the little bits and bobs you've done to set the scene looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, the little vignette was a wonderful distraction and great fun to do.

      Delete
  12. As the end of the school year approaches I think you may have had some difficult students or staff, or both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two things are purely coincidental, honest. ;)

      Delete
  13. He looks just the practical* type of chap for the job, Michael :)

    *"Practicals" are the assistants to the Inquisitors in Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" books - if you haven't read them, you really should

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now they sound interesting Tamsin and just the ticket for the summer holiday, thank you.

      Delete
  14. More Macabre miniatures for you collection...now why is "Bring Out Your Dead" sounding in my head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Pythonesque quality to him, isn't there?

      Delete
  15. Beautiful work, macabre but beautiful.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, the Tamiya Clear Red goy a run out on this one.

      Delete
  16. Great stuff. He reminds me of one of the two from The life of Brian......Oh, don't worry about him, sir. He's ma-- he's m-- he's ma-- he-- he-- he's m-- m-- m-- he's m-- he's m--

    He's mad, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a Pythonesque quality to him, which I adore.

      Delete
  17. Superb work Michael ... on a side note, when I was younger I never understood how someone could do such 'jobs'. It was only later as an adult when I found out that some brains aren't wired for empathy that I 'understood' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not a comfortable thought at all.

      Delete
  18. You know how to set a scene Michael, that looks painfully good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well coming from you Pat, I am not sure there could be a better accolade, thank you.

      Delete
  19. Fabulous torture set and the torturer is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  20. As noted above, there's a definite element of 'Python' about this figure. Wouldn't look out of place in either "the Quest for the Holy Grail" or "Jabberwocky". Was this before he discovered his diamond mine? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jez, given the ongoing Holy Grail collection, I can definitely see a crossover with the character. Diamond mine? What have I missed?

      Delete
    2. The torturer looks like Terry Gilliam, who played the madman in the woods who accosted Dennis in "Jabberwocky" accusing him of trying to steal diamonds from his mine...just before the Jabberwock got him.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jez, I desperately need to dig out my copy and remind myself. I started to get confused with the Fisher King for some reason?

      Delete
  21. Such characterful additions to your collection.
    The torturer looks rather small, is it true 28mm?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...