Monday 22 May 2017

A little more terrain.

Following on from the previous post, and having run out of 40mm and 60mm ‘Warbases’ MDF discs part way through my Cherry orchard construction, I was left with two remaining trees.  Not wanting to abandon them, I decided to plant them together on the same base and as I offered them up to an 80mm MDF ‘Warbases’ disc inspiration struck!  
Although a smidge too close together they did give the impressive of forming a natural arch through which one might stroll whilst devising haiku.  To further enhance the illusion I decided to add a Shinzentōro Japanese Lantern, again from ‘Master Crafted Miniatures’ and some paving slabs to help avoid getting your Geta wet from the morning dew.

どういう奇妙なことだ!
生きている
桜の下に。

What a strange thing!
to be alive
beneath cherry blossoms.
― Kobayashi Issa
Feeling a bit pleased with myself with the Cherry Blossom archway, I reached for another 80mm MDF ‘Warbases’ disc, but this time I had another plan.  When I placed my order for the tree armatures I had also chanced upon, what I hoped would be, suitable Bamboo stands.  On closer inspection there were three different heights and the plastic was a little flimsy and of course a wonderfully lurid green.  As a result nothing had happened with them, until now!  
I had in mind to create a Bamboo screen to block line of sight and so started with some off cuts of blue foam to raise the height just that little bit more.  I also had one more piece of 3D printed scenery from my splurge on the ‘Master Crafted Miniatures’ site and so this base was going to be the perfect spot for my Gorintō.  Slowly, but surely the screen was taking shape and with the final addition of the Bamboo stalks, although I did have to pre-drill the holes as the plastic was so feeble, the basic construction was finished. 
Painting followed a fairly predictable palette, particularly with the groundwork.  The lurid green shoots were simply give a blast with an Olive Green Tamiya aerosol I had lying around, which seemed to the trick and with a smattering of leaf litter and a couple of larger green tufts the build was complete.
So two additional terrain pieces that I wasn’t planning on building, but ultimately really pleased with their outcome.  Both pieces have already been used and the bamboo screen works particularly well, I just need to watch out for those pesky Tengu Descension and their ‘Fly’ trait!

52 comments:

  1. Great ideas on these. I've also purchased the flimsy bamboo and have now decided to buy some of the master crafted pieces. They looked too small initially, but as accent pieces on larger terrain they look absolutely spiffing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie, I have to say that I was rather impressed with the Master Crafted bits, really good quality.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, also wish sometimes my brain was wired to write haikus. To verbose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, if I can overcomplicate something, I will!

      Delete
  3. Stunning dear Sir stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. each base is very nice and together even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, really pleased with how they look on the board.

      Delete
  5. Very good simple additions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are excellent. I like the thought that has been put into each arrangement; they're not just a random collection of bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there was certainly more thought in these two, particularly with the bamboo acting as a screen.

      Delete
  7. excellent Michael, I'm gonna have to go back to my 3D printed bits and bobs and add them to some of my terrain bits now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall take that as a compliment, especially as it was your post that inspired them in the first place.

      Delete
  8. You are indeed man of impressive talents. The cherry orchard is fantastic Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dan, that is very kind of you.

      Delete
  9. Another awesome tree stand Michael. The set looks superb together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful, and haiku too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair it wasn't an original Awdry haiku, but thank you nonetheless.

      Delete
  11. Very, very nice, I particularly like the screen idea.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roger, I was trying to think of ways to stop my opponents showing at me!

      Delete
  12. 素晴らしいです!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. どうもありがとうございました。

      Delete
  13. Those look wonderful Michael

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspirational stuff mate. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Milly, I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  15. Stunning. Completely agree with Michael above - inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's some amazing terrain! Pretty impressive looking trees for some cheap eBay finds. Would you be willing to share the link to their eBay site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and of course, the vendor was:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gogouptoop?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

      the bamboo was listed as:
      100 Bamboo Tree Model Train Buildings Architecture Scene Layout Multi Scale
      ( 282226739748 ) £5.01

      and the cherry trees as:
      10pc Pink flower Model Tree Railway Train Diorama Garden Scenery OO HO Scale
      ( 281938973067 ) £4.17

      Hope that helps?

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Will have to browse through what they have! Let's see if they have some trees more suitable for my projects as well

      Delete
  17. Love the bamboo terrain. When I see bamboo terrain I always always think of a samurai slashing his victims and standing in a cinematic pose while the bamboos split open and his opponents ... ermm .. well ... let's just say lots of red hues involved. :)

    And being with the missus under a cherry blossom tree is something I may never experience but it's definitely in my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm really liking all your feudal/mythical Japan terrain pieces - very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another truly splendid piece of work. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent work on all these pieces of Japanese terrain, Michael. Really nicely presented and done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning work Michael! I particularly like the bamboo grove.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I've been away too long, Michael. I am not surprised to see you've continued to churn out marvelous work. These new terrain pieces are beautiful. I will now be scrolling down to see what I've been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Multi-tree bases are something that I'm also planning for my Winter table.

    These new (New to me) submissions are pretty good mate. Will we see a battle report for this game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really must try and make a report, the problem we have is getting any sort of conclusion in our limited time slot - the chaps do like to talk!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...