Thursday 26 January 2017

Pikemen at the ready!

Today sees the launch of the long awaited ‘Pikeman’s Lament’ a set of Pike and Shot wargaming rules by Daniel Mersey and Michael Leck covering the 17th Century that allows you to recreate skirmishes and raids from conflicts such as the Thirty Years' War, the English Civil War and the Great Northern War.  I understand that the core mechanics of the rules will be familiar to those who have enjoyed Daniel’s ‘Lion Rampant’ ruleset, but with enough tweaks and new ideas to set it apart as a stand along game.
Page 24!
In the winter months of 2015, I received an email from Michael asking if I might consider taking some photographs of my English Civil War miniatures, in particular the Clubmen that I had painted for my ‘Witchfinder General’ project.  Although not able to make any promises, Michael hoped that they might be considered to be included in the new book.  Well this was wildly exciting and I certainly didn’t need to be asked twice.  I had been given some direction from Michael and set about creating a series of little vignettes that I thought might be what they were after.  A short email exchange later and my contribution was complete and it was just a case of waiting to see if any would make the final edit. 

Imagine how thrilled I was when I received a courtesy copy of the ‘Pikeman’s Lament’ last week with one of my photographs in it!  It was such a treat to be invited to contribute and to see my work alongside the likes of Michael and Alan Perry has given me a great hobby boost.  As for the rules themselves?  Well there will be much more knowledgeable chaps ready to give a full and frank review, but I will say that as with all ‘Osprey Publishing’ titles, there is a quality to the project and I am very much looking forward to giving the a good read in due course. 

I do hope the venture proves a great success for both Daniel and Michael and have been fascinated by the series of posts Michael has been running on his ‘Dalauppror’ blog demonstrating the make up of units and other considerations ahead of the title’s publication today.   As a last indulgence I have taken this opportunity to publish here some of the photographs that didn’t make the book, but were nonetheless great fun to set up and take. 

72 comments:

  1. Well done Michael! You definitely deserve that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it was lovely to be asked.

      Delete
  2. Fame at last. Beware is it intoxicating, the wealth, the girls, the fast cars and the ready supply of cocaine. You must be strong.
    It is about time though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now whilst all that sounds terribly exciting, when would I have any time to paint my toy soldiers? :)

      Delete
  3. Well deserved I would say. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Micharl for your contribution, i really wanted to have the close up of your clubmen in the book, but was unfortunate cut in the osprey layoutphase.

    I hope you Will enjoy the rules and i looking forward to an AAR with the clubmen involved in the action :)

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it was lovely to play the smallest part in what I hope will be a wonderful success for you all.

      Delete
  5. Fame and recognition! Nice pics of some lovely figures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done that man. Those clubmen are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Those pictures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Michael, you and your splendid work deserve the recognition!! :D Thanks for sharing yet another set of splendid photos! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredibly kind of you. It was great fun and lovely to have been asked.

      Delete
  10. Fame at last! Well done ol' boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not sure about that, but thank you.

      Delete
  11. Always nice to see deserved recognition - congratulations Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent recognition Michael..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I was really thrilled Fran, lovely of Michael to ask me to contribute.

      Delete
  14. Nice one Michael, well deserved too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one, Michael! Those figures look the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well done! congratulations, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Splendid stuff Michael, will you be doing a signing whilst attending the Blogger's Meet at Salute ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now stop it, you'll make me blush, but for you Simon - of course! :D

      Delete
  18. Congarats mate! Well done, but it is only fair someone has asked you for pictures of your figures: they are among the top of the line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are incredibly kind Sander, what a lovely thing to say.

      Delete
  19. Congrat's Michael, you can now say Your Published! whenever someone wants to lament your hobbies! Let the book tour begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry and what a great idea, now if only I can persuade Mrs. Awdry to see things the same way.

      Delete
  20. Well done! Wonderful pics of some wonderful figs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well deserved those pictures are beautiful.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, it certainly didn't take much persuading to get me to take my toys out and set them up for some photographs.

      Delete
  22. Fantastic and well-deserved, Michael! I got my copy of the rules yesterday, and your figures and photographs sit really well in the book. Great work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind Sir, it was a great thrill when my edition arrived and I could see the picture in print. Delighted for Michael and Daniel too.

      Delete
  23. Well done your picture stood out for me when I went through the rules last night, thanks for posting the other ones they look equally splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Iain, that's incredibly kind of you. Iain, I found your blog, but I wondered if you are posting somewhere else?

      Delete
  24. Sweet. A well earned feather in your cap, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!!!

    It was only a matter of time really that your stuff would end up published.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Michael, these figures and pictures are amazing, details are outstanding...

    ReplyDelete
  27. What awesome news! It is wonderful to take part in something thats get published and to see something you helped create whilst reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This must be by far one of the highest awards when it comes to our hobby. Congratulations Michael but I am not surprised that they wanted to take photographs of your outstanding figures. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations - a stunning collection of figures, & really nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Outstanding, Michael! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats Michael! Well deserved. It's always gratifying to see one's own work in print.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant, and I`m sure well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  33. "Come to my website to view the contents of my website
    BOLA PELANGI - BANDAR MIX PARLAY TERBESAR DI INDONESIA HANYA DENGAN 1 USER ID SUDAH BISA BERMAIN SEMUA GAME. Join US ! klik link di bawah ini ☟
    Prediksi Parlay Jitu
    Mix Parlay
    Bola Jalan
    U build Great Artikel ^_^ i already Share this artikel Bandar Bola
    Bola Online
    Berita Bola
    Prediksi Parlay

    Untuk Info Dan Bonus Menariknya Bisa Hubungi Kami Di Bawah Ini :
    WHATSAPP 1 : +6282143134681
    WHATSAPP 2 : +6281333472723
    Ayo buruann , mana tau kamu menjadi jutawan setelah bergabung dengan kami ..
    ♛ Group FB Prediksi Parlay = https://www.facebook.com/groups/346501502486292/
    ♛ Instagram = https://www.instagram.com/bolapelangi_01
    ♛ Pinterest = https://id.pinterest.com/bolapelangilounge/
    kami ..
    ♛ Group FB Prediksi Parlay = https://www.facebook.com/groups/346501502486292/
    ♛ Instagram = https://www.instagram.com/bolapelangi_01
    ♛ Pinterest = https://id.pinterest.com/bolapelangilounge/
    "

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...