Saturday 26 July 2014

Fabled Realms Buildings


We it's been a quiet week here at 'Awdry Towers' on the hobby front, for every time that I sit down to start something, I am seemingly instantly disturbed!  This is clearly not as bad as I am making out and I have managed to cross off a couple of important jobs from the 'Saintly Mrs. Awdry's' summer chores list, but I must make amends from Monday.


That said a couple of miniatures were painted and I hope to showcase them early next week, but in the interim I thought I would share a couple of new buildings that arrived from '4ground'.  I first spied these at Salute 2014 and knew immediately that I would have to have some for my 'Witchfinder General' project.  They mark a foray into the Fabled Realms for '4Ground' and are timely addition to their range with all things Piratical on the horizon.  


Their slightly quirky look makes them perfect for fantasy gaming, but they have such a quality about them that I hope they might work for 17th Century England.  I plumped for two in the end, the grand, two story High Street House and the more modest Backstreet Hovel.  As with my previous purchases from '4Ground' these were a joy to put together, in fact I would suggest that is much of their appeal, particularly for a chap who loved putting Airfix model planes together as a boy; there is something intrinsically satisfying about following a set of instructions through to the completion of the project and then holding aloft your creation and saying, "I made that!"

Removable roofs as standard!
Working trapdoor to the cellar or smugglers' tunnel.


Patience and rubber bands are required, but such is the quality of the design that it all comes together superbly well, even the new fangled panelling. 


Paint Table Saturday#38


Meanwhile the paintable is still being patrolled by the hell hounds that have seen little progress apart from their bases and I have managed to unearth the damaged dry stone wall sections, so I hope to have those done over the coming week - we'll see!  


Finally, please remember that you can see many more 'Paint Tables' by popping over to Sophie fabulous weblog hereor by going in the fun at the Google+ community here.


37 comments:

  1. Very nice Michael! I like the raised detail on the walls as it looks much better then when it's simply etched into the panel.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, the new panels, certainly seem to add something, but of course make it easier to have different coloured buildings.

      Delete
  2. I say, those are rather nice buildings. I do like the trapdoor - plenty of gaming possibilities with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but the trapdoor really caught my imagination too!

      Delete
  3. wonderful buildings!
    details are great and painting is superb as usual!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid, I can't take any credit for the paintings on these Luca as they come preprepared.

      Delete
  4. Quite the village you've put together. They look splendid on the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If truth be told, I actually need a bigger board or possibly a bigger house!

      Delete
  5. You've made these buildings look inhabitable.

    Have fun hunting for horrors from the ether!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking buildings Michael. A worthy investment sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to say that I am delighted with them Bob.

      Delete
  7. They do look rather interesting I like the cellar trap door bit. Me thinks its time to see some witch finding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong Robert, I seem to be putting off the inevitable!

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking buildings - they would look great in many scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly hoping to get some use out of them Dean.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, but they do photograph beautifully. I can see you using them as back drops in this Winter's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly add a quality to the board don't they and will definitely be featuring somewhere.

      Delete
  10. Very nice and useful buildings Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful terrain pieces there, Michael, and well-matched with the Witchfinder General setting. Some dry ice fog, suitable lighting, and your excellently-painted figures in the starring roles, and you've got your very own tabletop version of a Hammer film going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry ice fog! Genius, I want to try that, just need to wait for the Saintly Mrs. Awdry to pop out first though!

      Delete
  12. I cannot fault the buildings they really are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say they look lovely and I think I will be getting some of them too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed Pete, they really are superb.

      Delete
  14. I'm going to have to have a little dabble!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great results; 4ground are improving their techniques with every new release - really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice result with these "snap-kits". I love the scenery too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those buildings look really nice. :) Ahhh ... the dreaded chore list. My excuse of suffering a medical condition called laziness seems to hold no water with the missus. And the excuse that the whole blogosphere is eagerly awaiting my next post which I need to do now is always met with sniggering and the evil eye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did they ever actually build houses with bent beams like that?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice buildings, Sir.
    Actually I don't like 4Ground buldings that much because they look to tidy in my oppinion but you did a great job with this village anyway.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fairly easy to fix with some weathering liquids and powders.

      Delete
  20. Those new buildings look like they fit your ptoject perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  21. These buildings are fantastic aren't they. A couple are on my to get list. I have some of the ruins from the ww2 range to build for ATDE ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look fantastic. I briefly looked at the Salute display, but the crowd was too thick at the time... I'll probably add some of those to my ever growing shopping list

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...