A tentative (sorry, just couldn't resist!) first post for February and after a month spent completing projects in the Crimea it is time to switch focus and return, once again, to the Anglo-Zulu war. I had ordered up these Renedra bell tents some time ago, but was a little disappointed when they arrived as I felt they were a tad small. Recently, however, I have seen some wonderful examples of these 'plastic pitched pavilions' (take a look at Stuart's camp at 'Dust, Tears & Dice' for example) and decided it was past time to get mine painted.
Although they come in a set of four I decided to base them as a three; keeping one back for no other reason than to try to emulate Silver Whistle's wonderful 'Colonial Camp Set' at a later date. Absolutely stunning work on show at his blog 'Wargaming with Silver Whistle' and I would encourage anyone who has not been to go and have a look for themselves.
They were relatively easy to paint up, using an appropriate palette and a little Games Workshop, 'Devlan Mud' as part of the weathering. A few tufts and some static grass and all done!
In a bid to try and make my own mark on the project I included a few tent pegs, undoubtedly out of scale and too few to be of any use, but I do feel that they add a little something! They were created using bits of cocktail stick and 'Beadling' wire wrapped around the top then glued to the underneath of the tent rim.