Friday 12 July 2024

Colonial Paddle Steamer


This fabulous kit has been in my collection for far too long, lying unassembled and unloved in the pile of procrastination, until last summer when I was determined to put on a game for my good friends Bullcher Feb and the Dark Templar.  I had a notion that I wanted to return to the Congo, a rule set that we had all enjoyed a few years back, and what perfect way to explore the dense jungles than by a riverbourne cruise in a paddle steamer.

As with all 'Sarissa Precision' kits there is a quality that exudes from this model, it is simply so well designed that I knew it was going to go together well.  When starting a build there is also a sense of apprehension as there will always be a point when you have to make a decision about playability over construction and as I tend to do so much of my planning on the fly this moment often cripples the construction process by causing me to overthink to point of inactivity.  There is also a point in every build, and I appreciate that this might be just me and my fat fingers, when there is a sickening snap as some integral part of the structure is fractured or broken due to my stubbornness to yield to the fragility of MDF!

So it was with this build.  I had taken the boat to school to work on in the evenings that I wasn't on duty, all was proceeding well when I had to make a decision about whether to stick the decks together along with the roof panels.  In the end I decided against it believing that it would make it easier to paint and accessorise when I got home.  Following this hiatus a sickening snap was heard as I tried to drive home part of the substructure, but my familiarity with this type of kit allowed me to adopt a far more pragmatic approach than to throw the model across the office and simple repair was effected without any obvious loss to aesthetic or dignity. 

It is a shame that the same couldn't be said for the cardboard funnel, which I butchered beyond all possible explanation.  This would clearly need a little more thought later in the process.  Finally completed the launch returned home and sat idly by as I found new dustractions*, but as the playdate loomed ever closer it was clear that I needed to get it finished.  It was at this point that I realised that my poorly assembled funnel was also poorly sited causing it to look as if would topple over in a stiff breeze.  I briefly considered removing the offending piece and building it again from scratch, but instead decided to embrace my mistakes and incorporate them as part of the wear and tear of a working vessel.   

*Dustraction - a new, shiny hobby related project that after initial excitement is relegated to gather dust.

I had great plans to accessorize this fabulous kit to within an inch of its life, but I was rapidly running out of time, so instead limited myself to some rigging, to hold up the toppling funnel, and a tarpaulin for the rear deck.  All of this was undercoated so that painting could start.   


The painting itself was a breeze as having primed the model, I fired up the trusty airbrush and attacked the hard to get to areas with a light grey.  The planks were then drybrushed and with some accents of colour it was complete.  The weathering was achieved by using various washes, but looking at it now I could probably have pushed this a little further.  Still all things considered a passable job and great to see the model assembled and painted - now on to the characters needed for the expedition! 

The ever growing flotilla of 'Sarissa Precision' kits.



27 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Michael, I think the battered funnel adds a lot of character and shows a lot of use of the ship, I would be tempted to add some more rust marks on the funnel where the dents are, as these areas would be prone to rust, also, a a green wash just above the waterline, would take it to the next level, but these are only additions if you want to do them, as it looks great as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave and for the ideas, this is why you are the master of modelling. I knew it wasn't quite right, but couldn't quite put my fingers on it. The green waterline is inspired!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! That's an awesome bit of work Sir M! I do love the addition of the rust. That makes it come to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ray, it really is a lovely piece of kit and makes a great centre piece.

      Delete
  3. A very nice model Michael - I think the funnel adds a bit of touch, that would be that part that gets banged on overhanging branches a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew and ultimately that was what I was going for in the end, but as Dave quite rightly points out it is all a bit clean for something that has been so battered.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Yes! Beautiful looking model sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The final product looks great! Worthy of being captained by someone like Mr. Allnutt, after the untimely demise of his previous vessel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and love that idea! Always fancied the idea of a narrative like game based on the African Queen.

      Delete
  6. What a splendid model Michael looking forward to seeing it in action 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, it doesn't play a huge part in the action, more as a means of escape.

      Delete
  7. Major Thomas Foolery13 July 2024 at 17:37

    Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An astonishingly impressive paint-job, and marvellous write-up, Michael. I think the chimney is actually the best part of the ship, especially with the ropes 'holding it straight'. Marvellous project and a terrific post too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Simon. A great kit to build and ultimately pleased with how it turned out, but would love to tinker a bit more with it.

      Delete
  9. Excellent looking vessel, Michael! The smokestack came out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, certainly better than imagined when putting it together.

      Delete
  10. Nice, and just in time for the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and indeed, half price tickets available until the weekend.

      Delete
  11. Excellent work . I share you pain over that funnel . Likewise the snapping of an odd upright or two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is a fantastic model Michael!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...