Monday 15 August 2022

Bravo Bad Squiddo Games!

 

Despite the stifling heat down here on the South Coast, not that I am complaining you understand, I have managed to paint up 'most' of the second veteran unit for my wintery Soviet Army. I had hoped that the 'Warlord Games' Siberian Veterans box was going to account for most of its number, but I just wasn't happy with what were effectively the same sculpts that I was using for my other two rifle sections; fortunately a solution was found when serendipity played her hand.  


When gathering the initial troops for the list, I knew that I wanted a sniper team, but felt that the 'Warlord Games' team was wintery enough for my liking.  In searching for a suitable substitute, I stumbled across 'Bad Squiddo Games' whom I have used before for all manner of wonderful scenic items.  Having spied a couple of likely candidates, I duly ordered them up and in her customary timely manner, Annie had them dispatched and winging their way to 'Awdry Towers' before you could say 'hosepipe ban'.  


What I wasn't expecting was a delightful little thank you for my custom, another female Soviet combatant, this time toting a PPSh-41 sub maching gun with drum magazine and in winter uniform; an idea was forming!  Closer scrutiny of the Bad Squiddo webstore unearthed another couple of packs that I felt I could use and before long an order was placed, although this time through 'North Star Miniatures' as I was curious about some of their Crusader Miniatures Soviets. 


With regards to the quality of the bad squiddo miniatures, I am happy to report that they are excellent, nicely cast with very few lines and no extraneous flash.  Characterful poses that scale-wise fit in well with the other miniatures that I have used, they are uncomplicated making them an absolute joy to paint.  The ladies have collar tabs and I have picked these out in red, mostly for aesthetic reasons as opposed to any thought for historical accuracy, but I have to say that I am really rather chuffed with them. 


 As my veteran units are all going to be armed with sub machine guns, if not carrying a light machine gun, I added an extra weapon carefully placed on some bricks, for the soldier kneeling and firing the captured Panzerfaust.  Meanwhile the fearsome lady about to hurl the Molotov cocktail will find herself in the final rifle section when it is finished.

What of the sniper team, I hear you ask?  Well they are primed, but I am still deciding how to base them and so remain firmly stuck to their lollipop stick for the time being.  If you look carefully you can see the final members of the the ragtag veteran unit lurking in the background, waiting to be painted so that they can joy their sisters.  


Thank you then, Annie, of 'Bad Squiddo Games', whose generosity of spirit and quality of service resulted in me adding more of her fine miniatures to the army and which have, in turn, help give the existing troops a truly unique feel.

27 comments:

  1. You are a dangerous man as ever Mr Awdry. Trying to be good and not buy those, but you've made them look even better than the photos on the website. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, after the temptations you have put me through with your crusading knights, I am happy to even the score. 🤣

      Delete
  2. Well donr finding the means to have anothe rvery distinctive rifle squad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joe and lovely miniatures too.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the models Michael, and gives a very unique look against the other models with this unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave, just finishing off the final three members of the unit and they are starting to look good together.

      Delete
  4. Oh, excellent work again sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work on the BS figures Michael. I have really enjoyed painting others from their Women of WW2 range, lots of character, nicely cast and well posed/sculpted. Plus very good service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I concur wholeheartedly with your thoughts and can see myself have a closer look at the ranges before too long.

      Delete
  6. Very nice indeed. I have to say I like the idea behind Bad Squiddo a lot more than I like the actual figures in most cases, but the range of female Soviets seems very solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kym and I hear what you are saying, there is a definite look to them. That said these Soviets really work well with other manufactures as I hope to show when I finish up the remainder of their unit.

      Delete
  7. Very nice indeed - I have a few Bad Squiddo figures too although the WWII Soviets have so far been avoided because a) I am a bit mean and I want to get them all and b) I don't really have a use for 28mmWWIi figures in the first place - I just like the look of them! I actually have some rather nice (I think) 3D printed Soviet soldiers .... see here, for example https://1808534.blogspot.com/2021/10/a-few-more-heroines-of-soviet-union.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Keith, have just had a look at the 3D prints and my word they are a bit good! Not sure how I have managed to avoid your blog for so long either, but now following.

      Delete
    2. Excellent news Michael - welcome along!

      Delete
  8. I've never ordered from Bad Sqiddo myself but I can't argue with the quality of those sculpts, or the wonderful painting you've added to them sir! They seen like a nice company to deal with too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, it's a good company built on quality service so always happy to promote to others.

      Delete
  9. My sniper team is the Bad Squiddo summer team, really excellent figures too, I've got some for my ancients and renaissance armies further down the line!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up both sniper teams in the end because I liked the of the summer one more. To keep with the wintery feel will probably go with the snowsuits one, but who knows what will happen in the future.

      Delete
  10. Beautifully done figures Michael I have a couple of badsquido figures but should look back at their range 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, I found myself returning to the webstore to see what else was there that I 'must' have, I keep getting seduced by the scenic items as well.

      Delete
  11. These are brilliantly sculpted minis ... I say this because although the uniforms are 'bulky' for want of a better word ... I can instantly recognise the female form in them. Needless to say, they are also very well painted. Great choice and work Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you paint these Soviet troops, the colours are spot on, the detailing is just beautiful and the highlighting/shading is wonderfully subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. CARI WEB YANG PASTI CUMA DI LEVIS4D !!!

    PUAS MAINNYA DAN SERU SLOT DISINI BEDA SAMA YANG LAIN

    📌 Min. Deposit Rp. 5.000
    📌 Min. Wirhdraw Rp. 30.000

    ✅ pastii gacor !!
    ✅ pastii wd !!
    ✅ pastii menang !!
    ✅ pasti di bayar !!

    Cari " LEVIS4D " dalam pencarian google

    #levis4d #levis4dofficial #levis4dprediksi #slotonline

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...