I have mentioned before how I had found inspiration in the painting guide found on 'Moiterei's bunte Welt'. Unfortunately this only dealt with the 'summer' uniform and although I was able to adapt it my needs, I had a sudden panic when dealing with the Telogreika padded jackets worn by some of my troops. Fortunately, Nick very kindly came to my rescue and suggested a couple of colours and techniques to incorporate into what I was already doing.
After using a suitable 'earth' colour for the base everything was given a wash, something I always worry about. I have used washes and glazes and understand the technique, but I always shudder at covering over a nicely painting miniature in this way. In this case the purpose is simply to accentuate the depth between the padded sections, which then allows me to highlight the raised sections to sell the illusion.
All relatively straightforward stuff, but it helped tremendously having someone just guide me through those initial steps and choices for a colour palette. The idea is to have recognisably Soviet troops for the tabletop as opposed to historically accurate ones and so my simplified style is working as well as I could have hoped.