Saturday 20 June 2020

Loot Markers

I have been looking forward to sharing these elements, for no other reason that I am chuffed to bits with them!  From very early on in the game's design considerations, I was keen to include some element of chance to the proceedings, this is not a new concept and is lifted directly from some of my more enjoyable gaming experiences such as Congo and Zombicide.  
I wanted players to interact with elements drawing what is in effect a chance card that could then have an impact on game play, be it positive or negative.  The cards themselves were considered a while a go, with my thought process laid out in the post, 'On the turn of a card'.  I was hoping that this element would bring some levity to the game, making it more about the experience than a strategic wargame.  
I knew that we could design a set of tokens to place in the game to represent these chance encounters and that their position could again influence decisions made, for example placed within range of the castle defenders would an attacking squad run the risk of interacting and winning a game changing panzerfäust or will they see their troops gunned down for a humble bratwurst?  Decisions, decisions.
Inspiration came from the great many examples of 'jumping off' points devised for games like Bolt Action and so having decided on 40mm MDF discs as a starting point, I began collecting together elements from left offer sprues and the bits box.  Most came together very quickly and are grouped in sets like the 'fuel dump' or food supplies, which were actually one piece resin casts from 'Bad Squiddo Games'.  The weapons caches were all based around some '4Ground' packing crates that I had kicking around and proved just the job to 'stage' the individual arms, the irony being that they are bought as pre-painted, but were then undercoated when I had everything assembled! 
I haven't really considered just how many of these stands would be available to players in the game, but given the size of the playing area I set myself the target of eighteen, for no better reason than that was how many bases I had to hand.  Initially the thought was that they would be generic to both sides, but as I started to mull the idea over I decided it might be fun to have certain markers that would be placed just in the castle and others available to the attackers and could therefore be themed accordingly.  This is where things started to get out of hand...
Discarded luggage, looted family heirlooms from the castle armoury or discarded Nazi documents all made it into the castle, I even headed the file paper with a German eagle!  Outside we can find a teddy bear's picnic on a hand painted rug and evidence of the revenge of a certain red cloak wearing heroine; anything was possible.  It was always my intention, if time permitting, to have some fun with these markers and this was definitely a situation were having the time just to tinker around has befitted the outcome.  My apologies for a rare moment of self congratulation, but I couldn't be happier with them and can't wait to see the markers take their place on the boards.


Click button for related posts




73 comments:

  1. These are superb pieces! I love the little easter eggs like Red Riding Hood and the Black Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barks, great fun to do and I hoped that people would start to spot the little details as they looked at them.

      Delete
  2. Awesome work on these markers Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely collection, think my favourite is the armour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, I knew I wanted a suit of armour, but couldn't find any plate hence the Black Knight. That said I love the Monty Python connection to the project.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant stuff, Michael. I noticed a certain painting by van Clomp resting atop a packing crate, so good thing I moved on from this as my initial idea for 'something for the castle' (cue crash of thunder and flash of lightning)... hmmm, Willem Dafoe as Max Shreck from "Shadow of the Vampire" would be a cool addition, lurking in the lower regions of the Schloss. But I digress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you spotted that particular looted artwork, an nod to the silliness of the Pegasus Bridge project. Now a Nosferatu style vampire, that would be good!

      Delete
  5. Very commendable. It should enhance the tables nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope that will add some fun to the boards.

      Delete
  6. Those are brilliant! and reflect your humorous nature perfectly, as always the little touched you add take them to the next level! The teddy bear was my favourite till jez pointed out the "Fallen Madonna, with the etc..." and that is now top on my pops.

    You really do this stuff sickeningly well Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roger, these became one of my favourite elements and just loved dreaming up new elements, maybe there a few more to add?

      Delete
  7. Excellent work on the markers Michael, the variety and fantasy elements should add the desired levity to the game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave, I am looking forward to how they look with the regular troops moving around them.

      Delete
  8. Great markers Michael. Love the picnic set and the toadstools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I had so many favourites when painting them, I think depending on which one I was working on at the time.

      Delete
  9. Delightfully done and whimsical! I can picture some SS fanatic quailing as a maddened French politician comes at him, spontoon and teddy bear in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that just be the best thing ever, wonderful image A.J. thank you.

      Delete
  10. That's an incrdeible mount of work and a very worthwhile effort imho.
    I'm astounded at th variety and attention to detail shown in each and every piece.
    Just how much eye candy can you fit into this game ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joe. These were very much a consideration from the start and so had been collecting possible bits and pieces ready for the build. So pleased with how they have come together.

      Delete
  11. Magic mushrooms ?

    A faeire ring ? Will miniatures disappear for a day and come back a 100 years older ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going for the faerie ring idea, love that concept! Thank you.

      Delete
  12. These are terrific. Does the knight suggest that players "Choose wisely"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, I was thinking that players might avoid wounds, claiming they were but a scratch.

      Delete
  13. A right royal collection Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ray, very kind of you Sir.

      Delete
  14. Brilliant! I love the variety and the touches of humor and detail (especially the teddy bear's picnic, Red's revenge, and the gardening gnome).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, so pleased the humour came through as intended.

      Delete
  15. Absolutely wonderful! Each marker looking like a small vignette in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr. Nimrod, there had been more planning than usual for these so I am delighted that they have turned out so well.

      Delete
  16. Amazing scratch building and brushwork again, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dean, one of my favourite elements so far.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, that is very kind.

      Delete
  18. Wonderful collection of whimsical markers! They're all wonderful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Iain, these were something I was keen to make work having enjoyed doing something similar for Congo.

      Delete
  19. Very fun and very well put together. I can see a bunch of these being used in all sorts of games too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I was really hoping they would work, not least because they have used up so many resources.

      Delete
  20. Love 'em! Especially the pic-a-nic basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr. Mouse, one of my favourites too as the tartan pattern took a lot of time. I had hoped to have three bears, but lost one in the construction process so just went for the one in the end.

      Delete
  21. Those are wonderful, such a great range.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stuart, I didn't know how many we would need so just kept going!

      Delete
  22. WOW Michael, I see you've raised the bar yet again! It's items like these that make a convention game POP! I can already hear the Oooh's & Ahhh's, because I am making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry that is such a lovely comment, I really enjoyed putting these together and was genuinely thrilled with the outcomes.

      Delete
  23. Those really do look impressive Micheal!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christopher, they were such a blast to do.

      Delete
  24. I just love those markers, I did see the Fallen Madonna, did I not? Teddy Bear's Picnic, brilliant! Just received Wargames Illustrated and delighted to see your project getting the attention it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martin. Yes it was her with the big - well you know the rest. I was thrilled with Wargames Illustrated for featuring the game, just wish we had some shots of it completed.

      Delete
  25. Bloody excellent! Love the one with the Mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you like them Paul, they really were so much fun to do.

      Delete
  26. The details on this markers make them a joy to behold for all miniature painters. Nicely done Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, these are incredible, so detailed and probably so many Easter Eggs ♥️. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was great fun just letting the imagination run wild.

      Delete
  28. Very slick, Nice job all around.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful - love this sort of thing in our own games and you've done some brilliant ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lots of ideas borrowed here, but I hope they tie in nicely with the story.

      Delete
  30. These are fantastic! Whimsical mixed with useful, mixed with Easter eggs. Lovely stuff. Definately gonna steal these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and please steal away. Pretty sure I borrowed some of the ideas in the first place.

      Delete
  31. These look really good Michael, with the care you've put into these, one can see how much fun they were to make..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really did enjoy putting these together, definitely a lot of fun.

      Delete
  32. Brilliant idea excellently executed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...