Thursday 27 April 2017

Beast in the Broch

I have been trying to find the time to make this post for a while now, but ‘Salute’ and the new academic term have rather conspired to derail any, and all, my best laid plans.

Still with a couple of days left in April, there is still time to act and so I just wanted to draw your attention to a post that I read on Edwin’s wonderful ‘Thoughts of a Depressive Diplomatist’ blog.  The long and short of it was that having made the decision to go his separate way, Graeme Dawson, formally of ‘Crooked Dice’ has set up ‘Beast in the Broch’ as a solo venture, taking with him the Future Freedom Fighters range.

Now I have fond memories of Blake’s 7 from my childhood and have long hankered after these miniatures, especially having seen them in action on Simon’s wonderful 'Fantorical' blog.  Having missed out on the 'Crooked Dice' not Dr. Who range, I decided that the time was right to add some Future Freedom Fighters to my collection.  Now let’s be clear about this, I have no idea how and when I will use them, a morally reprehensible standpoint to some,  but there was a wave of nostalgia that washed over me when I saw them and it was inevitable that my already suspect willpower would eventually crack.
Well crack it has and with the decision made all the sweeter, by the very generous 20% off in April when you subscribe to the 'Beast in the Broch' mailing list, I can confirm that I now have a collection of Future Freedom Fighters and jolly nice they are too!  Such great sculpts, wonderfully crisp, with little or no flash - not to to mention delivered in good time, great service Graeme, thank you!

To complement my purchase I treated myself to the Blake’s 7 box set, a Dutch import as it was considerable cheaper - I just need remember to turn the subtitles off!  I had forgotten just how good it was.  Yes the special effects are ‘of their time', but the Orwellian themes and rapport between the actors was certainly better than 'Young Master Awdry' would have appreciated at the time, all this and that theme tune; one of the best perhaps?
I just need to resist the temptation to add a couple of packs of Federated Security before the end of the month!

SaveSave

23 comments:

  1. I remember meeting Michael Keating when I was a kid.
    His kids went to school with my cousins. I though I was going to end up visiting his big mansion (he was on tele!!) and ended up in his little flat in North London. At least he was a lovely bloke and I walked away with an autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seriously tempted myself by this offer but I've so far managed to resist...partly because I'd have to get them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice figures! Blakes' 7 was a bit too Orwellian for my taste back then, but I'm tempted to watch the episodes again to see how they stood the test of time. My (American) wife's a big fan of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Michael. I was aware of the parting of the ways between Karl and Graeme, but wasn't sure in what form Graeme's new venture would surface, so this is a particularly informative post. Doctor Who AND Blake's 7, eh? Next you'll be ordering Nexus Miniatures Sapphire and Steel figures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A walk down Memory Lane... I loved "Blake´s 7", a nice souvenir from my pre-teen years :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Michael, and many thanks for the shout-out; it feels good causing you to go out and buy minis as opposed to the other way round ;-) As a big fan of "Blake's Seven", and met both the late Gareth Thomas and Paul Darrow, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with these, and how you decide to use them.

    p.s. don't forget the original cast are still adventuring on audio at "Big Finish".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a program I'm familiar with. Guess your going to have to take the plunge to buy more to enlighten me 8D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had the pleasure to watch the show but can't wait to see what you do with the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently rewatched B7 and loved it, yes it's dated but that only added to the sense of nostalgia. These are great and so tempting if only I hadn't blown my budget at Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blake's 7 is one of my two all time favourite sci-fi shows along with Space 1999. I watch it probably every 12-18 months from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a fond recall of Blake's 7, so watching your outputs with interest Michael. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having been a couple of years too young to really watch Blakes 7 at the time (I remember it being on but only the odd episode) its a series I've wanted to get and watch for a long time now. And as for "morally reprehensible" purchases such as these - I find that these are the best purchases. Always quicken the heartbeat when raking through the pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you have a great weekend planned. Blake's 7 and painting. Great :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a BIG B7 fan. I appreciate this post. While it is a shame that Carl and Graeme have split the CD partnership what is best for each of them is best overall.

    Thank you for posting this as I struggle to keep up with game companies at the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to seeing what your magic brushwork brings out with these.

    Like everyone else I have fond memories of B7. I remember watching it in a break from playing AD&D with the lad who went on to invent the IMDB. How's that for a triple-whamy of nerdiness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Yarkshire Gamer was only writing about this a couple of weeks ago. Blake 7 fans are coming out of the closet, everywhere! I must find an excuse to buy and use the FedTroopers which are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the series as a kid, though sadly don't remember it much now.

    Will be watching closely though - those are some lovely sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not quite my thing but nice figures and lots of opportunity for gaming 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice figures and a tremendous paintjob. Although I don't have a clue about B7...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well good on you Michael, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a big fan of B7 I have been tempted by these on a few occasions, not least when Simon painted up a batch full, and now you are going to tempt me.... get thee behind me sir!

    Cheers Roge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not familiar with these stuff but they do look good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...