Sunday 24 April 2016

What a Lovely Day!

Another post left over from the ‘VI Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge’, this time part of my entry to the ‘Gambler/Risk-Taker’ bonus round that saw me start to formulate a somewhat convoluted plan in order to use the splendid 'Westfalia Miniatures' Wasteland Survivors that I had backed as a Kickstarter. In essence this was going to be an homage to the Road Warrior himself, after all surely he could be regarded as a Gambler or Risk-Taker?
Just as I was about to hit the nitrous oxide button on the idea, I realised that I didn’t actually have a ‘not Max’ miniature and not wanting to see the idea go to waste, I did want any self respecting hobbyist would do in this situation and ordered more miniatures! Having just seen the latest instalment, Fury Road, I plumped for 'Hasslefree Miniatures' Oscar and Foxtrot.  As usual they were exquisitely sculpted miniatures, but I am afraid that I rather bottled the Foxtrot miniature, I just couldn’t face pinning the hand holding the rifle to the slender wrist and instead ordered up another variant, this time from 'Crooked Dice Game Design Studio' – what a lovely day!
My choice of Imperator Furiosa decided, it was just the small matter of painting her and this is where the delay in presenting this post has originated.  Furiosa sports a buzz cut with her forehead often smeared with axle grease perhaps as an indication of her rank of Imperator.  In essence this was all fairly easy to achieve as I just left the top of her head black, but then I went and messed about with the eyes!  Having photographed the miniatures for the challenge, I was never truly happy with the result and took the opportunity of tinkering with her a little before posting here.*
*The original version can be seen in the group shot at the bottom.

As for Mad Max Rockatansky, I simply drew inspiration from the film an opted for a series of dusty browns, blacks and greens to represent the battered and broken Road Warrior.  The detailing on this particular 'Hasslefree' sculpt is just amazing and I kept discovering elements that I had't originally noticed.  Kev White has also sculpted several options with regards to weapons and accessories, but the huge monkey wrench was just too hard to resist.  Finally then a group shot of my Post-Apocalyptic survivors, a painful reminder that I have yet to touch my 'Across the Dead Earth' miniatures and rules and have also gone and backed the recent 'This is Not a Test' hardback rules from 'Worlds End Publishing'- there simply ins't enough time! 

64 comments:

  1. What a wonderful group of figures to witness! You shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pair of miniatures! The whole gang look tiptop ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind Sir, trying to make them dusty was a real pain though.

      Delete
  3. Lovely painting on those minis. :)

    And a very nice and cohesive colour scheme. Excellent stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, although I really enjoyed painting them, they did take an awfully long time.

      Delete
  4. Great job Michael.
    Heading off to the Thunder Dome right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Immortan Joe: "Everybody has gone out their mind. You're not the only one, Max".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some many great characters, so many great lines!

      Delete
  6. What a Lovely Day, what a lovely job...Love the whole group, better to be a friend of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. All great looking figures. Painted in your usual excellent style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Up to the fantastically high standard that I have come to expect from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredibly kind of you Clint, thank you.

      Delete
  9. Awesome stuff Michael, and I'm rather jealous of you getting hold of Oscar as I waited for what seemed like an eternity for "Hasslefree" to get the metal version back in stock, and in the end went with "Copplestone Castings" not-Max instead as all they seemed to ever have was the resin version.

    Great painting too on both, and you've clearly gone to the Nth degree with your subtle tones as I've come to expect. terrific paintjobs and what a lovely group shot too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, not a fan of their resin, or anyone else's actually, I don't know way, perhaps because, I am always worried that it is going to snap or break on me.

      Delete
  10. Lovely...especially Furiosa! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Michael. Impressed as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, that is a lovely thing to say.

      Delete
  12. Great sculpts and fantastic paintwork. Top job sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan, they really are both very nicely put together.

      Delete
  13. Painting skill that warms the heart, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jolly well done! They're full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb painting on these Michael, the colours look very worn, drab and realistic and the denim jeans are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, the group became a bit of a labour of love because I kept picking out different colours and tones rather than go for a blanket effect.

      Delete
  16. Excellent job, Michael. The Fury Road pair look right at home amongst their 1980's counterparts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great paintwork as ever Michael, really looking forward to what you come up with for "Forgotten Heroes", I know the painting will be excellent!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, but I may need some help narrowing down a possible character.

      Delete
  18. An excellent degree of grittiness in those paint-jobs Michael. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. O what a lovely day!

    Smashing paint jobs Michael. With shorter hair your Max would look just like my mate Steve in his Max cosplay. I'm sending him the link to this post now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job Michael! A very nice looking group of wastelanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind Sir, great fun to paint too.

      Delete
  21. Superb demonstration of your paining skills!
    Very nice group of wastelanders.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - great painting, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hola Amigo
    En una Palabra MAGNIFICO
    gran trabajo
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another win! More great paintwork Mr. Awdry. I really like the Hasslefree stuff, but getting it in Canada with the exchange is horrendous. I did pick up some for Zombicide during their year end sale though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Superb work Michael. I found Foxtrot quite easy to pin together tbh. If you can do KM stuff she is a doddle! You beat me to it with getting all the Wasteland Warriors done and the Oscar as well! I have some catching upto do!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent painted figures Michael! The whole gang looks superb!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am fan of the old Mad Max-era-films and I also like the thought of start playing skirmish in this environment.I think you have made an excellent job painting these figures and it gave me a lot of new inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great work on the skin tone of both minis. And the colour combination on their clothing are your usual very high quality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely post....Superb work, as usual! Cheers! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...