Monday 20 August 2018

A Hay Cart and Barn

A very simple, but very versatile piece from the ever reliable 'Warbases'.  I decided to treat myself to the additional resin hay insert, which fits perfectly into the assembled model.  No thrills with the painting, just undercoated and then the base colour highlighted.
Also pictured is a small wheelbarrow that inexplicably was added to the shopping basket whilst I was perusing the web store.  Eagled eyed visitors might recognise it from the collaborative Landsknecht stands that we produced for the 'Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge'.
Finally completed and immediately pressed into service in the fields of my 'Witchfinder General' project. 
Whilst sticking pieces of hard plastic together for bridge, I was reminded that I had also had a 'Renedra Plastics' ramshackle barn lurking somewhere in the pile.  Once finally unearthed this was glued together and then undercoated.  Following a rather predictable pattern, blue for water and grey for stone the barn was painted brown for wood and no sooner had I finished when I realised that this just wasn’t right.  I set about it with the drybrush and completely changed my mind with regards to the tiles on the roof, opted for a more conventional slate grey. 
As nicely detailed as it is, there isn’t a huge amount to trouble the painter, although I did manage to pick out a few details here and there, before adding some flock to hint at its dilapidation.  Now after what has been a busy week at work, time to catch up with a few of my favourite weblogs.








29 comments:

  1. excellent work, it's the little things that make tables pop isn't it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Michael, these pieces would add detail to any board

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired and excellent, very beautiful scene of everyday life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That barn is turned out very good! I like overall look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They turned out rather well, suitably weathered and worn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, That´s nice. Hey? Hay? Nope?...Hayho.
    I really like the way you´ve painted the rope on the door..at first I though it was a real bit of string added for effect

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say old bean top work on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, Michael. If my barn ends up looking half as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work on these very useful scenery bits. One wonders what horrors may be under the hay or lurking in the barn out of sight of the witch finder general?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done, Michael. They all add to the background effect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wheel barrow, a shed and harvested crops ? That's an allotment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did well to buy the hay load with the wagon - I didn't, thinking I could make it for nothing, I still don't have a hay load :( :) dohh.
    You've made a really nice job of painting the ramshackled barn, its a shame the roofline is so straight on the model, it would be perfect if it was bowed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! But I wouldn't open that barn door for a million dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work,they are little works of art! Inspiring stuff as always Michael.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding more visual treats to your gaming tables - good stuff Michael!

    Something that my own tables sorely lack as I always struggle with "But if I spend time painting scenery, then how will I find time to paint the massive pile of minis!?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. More excellent terrain purchases Michael! They've turned out quite nicely. One can never have enough terrain pieces, just not places to store them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always worth investing in terrain items that’s for sure. And a these a lovely as I would expect

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice work. I love the barn. I could do with some Rural terrain for my Children of the Fields from Crooked Dice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, that's a lovely old barn. Very well done, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great scenery Michael, these will enhance your games even more I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work on these Michael.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terrific work, Michael. You really are leaping about the hobby currently with all these interesting and different painting subjects. Great stuff, and worthy additions to your sublime collection of scenic pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. All very useful additions for many games but perfect for your Witchfinder set-up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some great additions to your ever growing collection Sir M. I do like the wheelbarrow, got a few of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent work on all the terrain on show. For the hay cart, you could actually glue on a few strands of stray 'fake grass' appropriately colored of course to heighten the realism levels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Quite a great way to set the mood for a game with pieces like these.
    Terrain is something many wargamers don't seem to like to spend much time on, but yours shows how good it can look with just a bit of effort.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...