Saturday 21 April 2018

What a load of Bullocks!

This post originally formed my entry to the second of the bonus rounds for the 'VIII Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge'.  Rather amusingly titled, Big Freakin' Gun, this was one of those wonderful opportunities where the theme fell perfectly for the miniatures that I already had – well mostly!  I have always loved artillery on the table top, it just looks impressive and the Challenge has given me plenty of opportunities to indulge in this over the years, whether that be Russian Field Guns in the Crimea, the Naval Brigade seeing off the Mutiny or Māori Warriors with a captured Carronade. 
Returning to the theme of BFG and I was instantly reminded of a piece of antiquated artillery from ‘Redoubt Miniatures’ Wellington in India range.  I had picked it up a couple of years ago with an idea that it could have been pressed into service during the Mutiny by a particularly brave, but desperate group of mutineers; I mean, just look at it!  I loved the chunky, solid wooden wheels of the bullock cart and the sheer improbability of the piece and decided that this was perfect for the round.  The difficulties started when it came to crewing the beastie.  I had some ‘Mutineer Miniatures’ Irregular Indian artillery crew that looked suitable and based them on card whilst I scratched around for an idea as to how to bring everything together.
I believe it was at this point in the project that I fell afoul of what they call mission creep!  You see, I also remembered that I had picked up an ‘Indus Miniatures’ (available through Wargames Emporium) Indian artillery piece, resplendent with its lion’s head muzzle ornamentation and what could be better than a BFG?  Well two BFGs of course!  The Indus piece was bought for exactly the same purpose as the Redoubt one, it just looked so cool!  I now had two guns and one crew, what to do?  In the end I decided that the Indus piece looked ready for firing and so would have the crew whilst the Redoubt piece needed some form of assistance in transportation.  
A bullock cart needs bullocks and lo and behold the new ‘Iron Duke Miniatures’ range (available through Empress Miniatures) have a set of bullocks along with a couple of nicely sculpted Indian drivers.  So with bullocks in hand* and a bit of careful matching on the base widths, I was able to create a series of units that could, in theory, be interchanged.
*not an expression to say out loud in polite company.
Although pleased with my efforts. something wasn’t quite right, I needed a limber!  Back on to ‘Empress Miniatures’ and the missing item was ordered up, and what a fabulous piece of casting it was too.  The only down side was that I had already positioned the yoke spars on the original bullocks and didn’t have the heart to remove them so, for the time being, it will have to suffice until I am brave enough to do it properly.
Purely as an aside the ruined walls and doors are from ‘4Ground’ and purchased as a set in one of the ‘North Star Military Figures’ clearance sales.  They are very cleverly done as for what appears like random damaged brickwork can actually be slotted together in a number of different ways giving variety to your terrain building.  (16 pieces in total)

52 comments:

  1. Outstanding work Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top work Sir M! It's a monster of a gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, they should certainly pack a punch.

      Delete
  3. Great to see you back in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady at the moment, but progress is being made.

      Delete
  4. Lovely stuff Michael as always, who doesn't love a big gun. Reminds me of the "Pride and the Passion", that movie always seemed to on television as a child!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger. Funnily enough "Pride and the Passion" made an appearance in the same bonus round, reminded me that I need to watch it again.

      Delete
  5. Great set of guns and crews Michael,and very versatile with how you've set them up. Great to read how one idea lead to another, and how you arrived at the finished pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave, I really love it when a project grows beyond my initial thoughts.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful artillery pieces, Michael. I really like the lion headed cannon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, it is such a lovely and unusual piece that one.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful work at this! I like these great painted kinda Indian oxen...excellent job done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was really pleased with how well the oxen worked.

      Delete
  8. So many splendid realisations Michael...awesome guns, crews and walls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic work on this lot. Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, this was one of those projects that just came together so well.

      Delete
  10. Very nice work indeed on these Micheal!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely..The "push me pull me" bombard...what make is that and .........Where the heck does one get 28mm Krishna Tira Cattle!!!? Nice animals if I recall..slow but strong and work all day without getting the hump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big old bombard is from Redoubt, with the Lion's Head version from Indus. As for the cattle they were from the wonderful Iron Duke Miniatures and yes I spotted the joke. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I´m constantly amazed at what is available These days.

      Delete
  12. A wonderful piece of kit Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A jolly nice piece of work, Michael. Whether those guns are more dangerous to their crews or the poor beggars downrange is a moot point, but they will look nice on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A.J. I must admit, I loved the idea of the these long forgotten pieces being forced back into action.

      Delete
  14. when I get to paint one of these I will know which one to copy!!!! you have been warned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be no finer compliment, thank you Clint.

      Delete
  15. Awesome job on the guns, crew, and limber, Michael, on every piece -- and they come together so well, yokes and all! A beautiful unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was such a thrill seeing them all come together, particularly given the variety of different manufactures.

      Delete
  16. All looking marvellous with the new additions completing the look nicely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are a cracking pair of guns, the word awesome springs to mind and you have done a lovely paint job on them.
    The tigers head is particularly good with some nice ageing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My word. What a cracking pair.

    [/sidjames]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those guns are truly a sight to behold :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the big boomers Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is what I'd call "Wow factor" Michael :-)
    You've done a first rate paint job on all the individual mini's for their 'portrait shots' and they look stunning when you group them in the last two photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those really are completely splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how the way your mind works, kind-of like "Why just do when one thing when I can just as esily do more?"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing work, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A splendid little set of artillery love the bullocks🙂

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another fine batch of figs Michael! Also nice to see you doing some of your historical stuff again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That limbered older gun looks positively medieval!

    Love these pieces Michael, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lots of thought certainly has gone into this project and it shows. Nice work Michael!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...