Sunday 29 November 2015

Birthday Weekend.

Now I wasn't planning on doing a birthday post this year, what with the big day having fallen on the Friday of what felt like a very long week.  The most that I was expecting was a fearsomely hot take away Indian curry and an evening in front on the television, sherry in hand.*

*Oh how I live!
This is pretty much much how the day went, but certain things conspired to make me take stock and realise just how lucky I am.  I can't tell you exactly what it was, it might have been the Birthday wishes email that greeted me from Millsy of 'Canister and Grape' or the particularly splendid rendition of 'Happy Birthday' sung my beloved Sixth Form as they loitered around the, yet to decorated, Christmas tree.  
Then there were rather lovely gifts from the 'Saintly Mrs. Awdry', family and friends.  The arrival of my Kickstarter pledge from Integrated Wargame Buildings.  This, by the way, looks complicated not to mention exciting, but after a brief inspection has been put away until after Christmas with thoughts of Post Apocalyptic worlds or a possible return to the Batman Miniatures game.
Perhaps it was the surprise package left by our postman, that had travelled all the way from Germany, my good friend Stefan making sure that there was some new lead in the house to commemorate my Birthday.  Conrad Kinch** of 'Joy and Forgetfulness' fame has just written a rather splendid post about the 'Freemasonry of the hobby', something that I wholeheartedly subscribe to, the camaraderie and selfless sharing of ideas or even items considerably more tangible has been such an unexpected side product of this most wholesome of hobbies.  
**Welcome aboard Sir
Dinovember 2015
Whatever the reason for my buoyed mindset, I would just like to thank you all!

49 comments:

  1. Happy birthday and enjoy your gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very happy Birthday Michael and enjoy all the lovely gifts!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so delighted to hear that the parcel arrived perfectly in time. And judging from the remaining gifts you've been good this year I presume.

    My best wishes
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Hope the curry and sherry were good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! Sounds like it was well celebrated and commemorated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations !!!

    Sounds like a great birthday indeed !

    best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to think my email iced the cake but I'm far more inclined to believe it was a good curry! Whatever it was, collectively or not, its great to hear you had a good one mate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Icing the birthday cake with hot curry? Hmmm, not sure that the tastes would compliment each other very well, but each to their own I guess ;)

      Delete
    2. Seriously? You don't know you're alive until you've tried triple chocolate vindaloo!

      Delete
  8. A very happy birthday to you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many happy returns to you Michael!
    Glad you had a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated though it is, Happy Birthday Michael. Great knowing yet another Sagittarius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Sir Awdry... and you enjoy those Doug McClure films - they don't make them like that any more I'm very sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To paraphrase Johnson "When man is tired of Beer and Dinosaurs, he is tired of life". Very best wishes, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday and my best wishes to you!
    For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
    For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very Happy Birthday to you, Sir M!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well belated birthday greetings sir! A fine haul indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had a great birthday weekend, certainly looks like you did

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Felicitations on the occasion of your natal day's anniversary, Mr Awdry! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Birthday Curry. What a splendid notion. I do like the idea of the 6thform singing to you as well, It clearly shows that as a teacher (and Person) you are both loved and respected. Many happy returns mate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like the birthday was absolutely spot on. Happy birthday sir!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many happy returns, my dear fellow. I've experienced Stefan's kindness myself and I agree with you, CK's "freemasonry of the hobby" is an especially felicitous turn of phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday (belatedly). I'll wish you Merry Christmas in January to continue this theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy belated birthday Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Many Happy Returns, old bean! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Indeed , a belated birthday wish from me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belated birthday greeting Michael

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to hear it went well. Just think positively: it could have been a cold curry, no gaming presents, only rubbish on the TV in the evening...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you one and all, it was a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy belated birthday, Sir Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hola Amigo
    FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS
    y DISFRUTA DE TODO Y DEL NUEVO AÑO QUE EMPIEZAS.
    UN SALUDO

    ReplyDelete
  31. A happy belated birthday Michael. ^_^
    Another year passes without the force (of the jedi kind) awakening in you then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a little belated to the part, but here's Happy Birthday to you Michael! Keep on exciting us with your stunning and sometimes maybe a little 'out of the ordinary' projects.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...