Pages

Tuesday, 11 August 2026

A Circle of Stone, A Circle of Ideas

With the inevitable return to work now looming on the horizon, A-Level results due to be published this week and all the various preparations for the new academic year beginning to make their presence felt, I was keen to squeeze in one more post before the balance of time inevitably shifts back towards work.  For this offering in the 'Season of Scenery', I thought I would share one of the more unusual pieces of terrain I have built for The Silver Bayonet; unusual not so much because of what it is, but because of how it came about.

A little explanation is required here.  There has been much discussion in schools recently about the use of Artificial Intelligence, and I have been sufficiently intrigued by the possibilities to wonder whether it might have a place in my own creative process. Rather than asking it to write a lesson plan or mark a set of essays, I thought I would try something considerably more interesting.  I opened ChatGPT and asked,
 
“I am currently playing Joseph A. McCullough's The Silver Bayonet and I need to design some terrain. I am looking for ideas for spooky rock formations or other related items that I could build. Can you help?”

What followed was, to my surprise, a genuinely exciting creative exchange.  Ideas were thrown backwards and forwards; some were mine, some were suggested by the machine and quite a few of the more extravagant proposals were quietly ushered towards the door.  There was a certain amount of discussion about what would actually work on a gaming table, what could realistically be built and, importantly, what might still look as though it had come from Awdry Towers rather than a computer.

Eventually we settled upon the idea of an ancient stone circle; tall, weathered stones, cracked and fallen in places, with a liberal sprinkling of Gothic horror and enough sinister detail to suggest that perhaps this was not somewhere sensible people should be wandering around after dark.  And then I had a thought.  Could we take these ideas and turn them into something that could actually be 3D printed?

I have been experimenting with a Bambu Lab A1 for about a year now and have enjoyed some modest success; I am still very much in the foothills of the learning curve, but the possibility of taking an idea from a conversation and eventually producing something physical was rather appealing.  So I asked another question, 

"Could ChatGPT help me create some spooky terrain STLs?"  

The initial answer was encouraging.  There was a brief misunderstanding which resulted in links to existing stone circle files, but eventually the conversation moved towards creating something from scratch.  Suggestions became more detailed, the design evolved and, eventually, I was presented with what appeared to be the next stage of the process; code that I could supposedly use to generate the STL files.  This, best beloved, is where matters became somewhat less straightforward.  What I had envisaged as ancient, vine covered rocks with deep fissures and an appropriately sinister appearance initially emerged as six rather immaculate columns; something, clearly, had gone rather awry.

There followed a reassuring exchange about design modifications and adjustments; I was encouraged to leave the process to do its work and return later when my wonderfully detailed STL files would, presumably, be ready.  I returned, nothing.  More questions were asked, more code was produced, more increasingly elaborate solutions were suggested.  Before long I found myself being led rather further into the depths of my laptop than I had originally intended, altering settings and contemplating processes that were beginning to feel suspiciously like actual computer programming.  I was becoming increasingly sceptical, but more importantly, I was becoming increasingly nervous.  Eventually I drew a line under the experiment and asked the question which, in retrospect, I probably should have asked considerably earlier, 

“Is it possible that you are unable to do this?”


There was, I confess, a certain amount of face saving, but ultimately the answer was yes. The parameters of what was possible within the process meant that it could not actually produce the object I had been imagining and yet, somewhat unexpectedly, I didn't feel that the experiment had failed.  By this point I had invested quite a bit of time in the conversation and, perhaps more importantly, there had been a genuinely creative exchange of ideas.  So I changed tack and simply asked for a visualisation of some of the things we had discussed.  The result was a wonderfully Gothic image which immediately gave me something far more useful than another piece of computer code, it gave me an idea I could build.



And so, somewhat inevitably, I returned to the painting table.  The construction itself was wonderfully straightforward. Great chunks of offcut blue foam were hewn to shape and arranged upon an MDF base; the base itself was deliberately cut to an organic outline and its edges bevelled to help it disappear into the tabletop.


I had seen people use crumpled aluminium foil to create convincing rock textures and thought I would give it a try.  It works remarkably well, although I discovered that achieving the desired texture requires rather more force than one might initially expect.  The foam was then carved, battered and textured until the smooth manufactured surface had been persuaded to look considerably more geological.


The stones themselves became the main focus. Cracks and fissures were cut into them and I added a selection of mysterious sigils and devices, not so much to explain what had happened here as to encourage wonder as to what might have happened.


The whole piece was conceived as blocking line of sight, but with access provided by some foam steps could also act as a vantage point.  A simple flagstone area echoed the original visualisation, but I wanted it to feel like a place that had been used for some purpose long before our intrepid troops arrived; somewhere that had accumulated offerings, rituals and perhaps the occasional unfortunate visitor.  Naturally this meant another raid on the bits box.  Weapons, tools, skulls and assorted other detritus were scattered around the stones; little offerings left behind as some form of tribute to whatever gods, spirits or other malign entities might have been worshipped here.


There was also an opportunity to return to an old favourite; hairy wool.  Carefully teased out and attached around the bases of the stones, the fibres make surprisingly convincing roots and creeping vegetation.  Once painted and combined with clump foliage, they help to tie the stones into the surrounding landscape and give the whole thing the appearance of having been sitting here, undisturbed, for considerably longer than is probably healthy.


Painting was, as usual, a mixture of familiar colours and experimentation; browns for the earth, greys for the stones, because, obviously, all rocks are grey.  It was at this point that the rather stark shapes began to disappear and the individual elements started to become a single piece of terrain. Weathering, scattered vegetation, stones, fragments and the occasional unsettling artefact all helped to tell the story.


And there it is.  A piece of terrain which began as a conversation, became a slightly alarming experiment in computer generated geometry, wandered briefly into the mysterious world of code and file generation, and eventually found its way back to where such things belong; on the painting table, surrounded by scraps of foam, bits from the box and a rather unhealthy enthusiasm for Gothic horror.

This wasn't quite what I had in mind when I started thinking about using AI to assist with creativity, but I rather like it.  The machine provided the conversation and, eventually, the image; the rest was left to me.


24 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic. Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. AI can be very useful sometimes. Fab work Sir M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be right Ray. Not to be relied on for short cuts, but a useful tool.

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic and better than AI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Really pleased that it didn't resemble the very obviously AI generated picture too much.

      Delete
  4. Well done! I really like the debris scattered about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely piece of terrain, especially with the trees in the background. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a lot of the trees have been recycled from the Castle project.

      Delete
  6. Wow, great looking piece of terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was a bit of a journey so I am obviously delighted to have finally finished it.

      Delete
  7. Never trust a computer ( Terminator ! ! ! LOL) Fantastic piece of scenery Michael, the overgrown look suits it well and adds to the creepy look of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave and sound advice. I was getting quite worried at one stage but we got there in the end.

      Delete
  8. Illuminating and thought provoking,entertaining post Michael.As Im a latterday Luddite, Im all at sea with new concepts of creativity. The out come is l think a most happy one,and an elegant solution.Up to your high "Standards" Michael.So glad you did not do a Banksy was here on the stonework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andrew. I am inherently lazy and so often will look for a short cut. Sadly, given my great age, I have come to realise that if you want to do something properly it needs to take as long as it does and that short cuts often lead to disappointment. Now feeling the urge to add some graffiti though.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the voyage you took to get to this finished piece. AI isn't (yet) a terrible daemon to be destroyed with fire and hate, it "can" help a hobbyist with ideas and creative methods and I've used it myself. (Especially when coming up with ideas for my workplace DnD campaign.)
    This stone circle is very well done, from the glyphs to the left detritus and how it is sat upon a raised hillock - lots of lovely, well crafted and believable detail. (The first thing that came to mind when I saw the finished terrain piece was the stone circle that features in the Disney animated film, Brave. Worth watching if you haven't imo)

    As to you inevitably disappearing once more in the dark depths of "School Curriculums and hormonal spotty teens", I'm saddened mate - we'd only just gotten used to having you back in the blog-o-sphere! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dai on many levels. Your continued and often humorous support has really kept me going this summer. I have thoroughly enjoyed reconnecting with people and sharing some progress. I just need to find a way to balance everything more productively.

      Delete
  10. Lovely piece of diorama that you have built Michael and it inspire me a lot. A lot of nice details and also a nice history to read before the diorama was completed.Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was a bit of a journey.

      Delete
  11. Nice work and interesting journey! I built my stone circle last year out of bits of foamboard sandwhiched between bits of slate, yours is much better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredibly kind, but I have just been back and had a look at yours and the slate idea is genius! The textures look so much better than my foam ones.

      Delete